Im new to this hole world.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im new to this hole world.

I would like to have two tanks, one for turtle and one for fish.

Re: Im new to this hole world.

welcome!

this whole world is a great one. go into more depth about what you are looking for, im sure there are plenty here to help you out.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hope the title doesn't mean it's a hole here!

Welcome!  
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Re: Im new to this whole world.

Thanks for the spell check.
        I want two red sliders but my girlfriend told me I need a tank over $120.
        At the same time my friend has two in a small tank.

Comment

there are tanks that dont cost as much, check out the market here or craigslist for some used tanks

i think a used 20long would be great for some baby sliders and then a little filter to go inside and you should be set.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I knew she was wrong, thanks EK

Comment

Welcome!!  

Here is a good link for turtle care: http://www.anapsid.org/reslider.html

Honestly, if you don't have the money to spend on a pet, please don't get into turtles. They can be costly to care for correctly. If you do decide to get them, please do the research to be able to care for them properly! A 20 gallon tank might be okay for about a month. RES grow FAST and to be BIG turtles!

Ellen

Comment

Thanks for the site. Mzungu is a friend of mine and will not let me get them if I can not take care of them.
                Like i said im new very new. I had a box turtle when I was a kid but my mom made me let it go.

Comment

I had been told in the past that RES grow to the size of their food source. So if one is wild and in a large pond with lots of food it will get very large, but if it is in a controlled environment, it won't get so big. I always shied away from those guys because of salmonella. You have to be very diligent with their hygiene.

Comment

i have kept them when i was younger and they never really grew when i had them.

i kept mine in 30g long tanks and fed shrimp pellets along with mosquito fish i caught at the bayou's.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If they don't grow, something is definately wrong!

Growing to the size of their food source is a common myth in fish and other critters. In truth, if it doesn't get big it is because either it is stunted because of bad husbandry or it dies young. For example, some people will keep oscars in 10 gallon tanks and say that they do just fine, but then again these same people think its amazing when fish live to a year old. You can also stunt the growth of other animals, such as mammals, by restricting their food intake. This will lead to health problems.

If you take care of them, provide them with proper nutrition, the right kinds of light, and a clean environment, they should grow big and strong.

If they don't grow, you're either doing something wrong or you got a runt (it happens in every kind of animal!).

Ellen

Comment

I vote for a box turtle, or 2! Ours would get up in the morning, come out of their cave, and eat their breakfast while we ate ours. They had tons of personality, and loved to wander around the house.

Comment

Welcome to Box!  Can we now ask "Is there a Dr in the box"?.
                          Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Yes you may.

Comment

Welcome. Have fun!

max

Comment

Working...
                              X