New to Group and Hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Group and Hobby

Hi everyone.  Other than spending considerable time researching online, reading some books and visiting countless LFS over the last year or so, I'm a newbie to the hobby.  

I purchased a used 110 gallon setup (60x18x24) from a friend over a year ago.  It was manufactured by Waterworld Aquatics here in Houston.   It's been sitting empty in my garage collecting dust for a long time now.  It is in serious need of a cleaning (mineral deposits, etc.).  It came with an Eheim Pro canister filter that's also sitting in my garage (with water in it) that I'm hoping I can salvage.  Other than that, the stand is the only other thing that came with it that I'm going to use (I would love to get a nicer stand but just can't afford one.)  Even the glass tops need to be replaced.  I've purchased a 48" PC fixture as well as substrate (3M Color Quartz), holey rock and some driftwood.  I've had the driftwood soaking in water for a year now and it finally sinks and does not turn the water brown!!!  I still need to buy the tops and I'd like to get a 3D background (can't afford Pangea and don't want to DIY so I'm currently looking at Terrascapes.)  I will probably also get some more rock and some plastic plants to round out the aquascape.

Basically, other than keeping a Betta here and there as well as a some other smaller types of fish in an Eclipse System 3, I really have no hands-on experience.  However, I do feel I'm finally ready to get everything set up and dive in.  I'm most likely going to start with some of the more docile (relatively speaking) African Cichlids such as Electric Yellows and Blues, Peacocks, and maybe even a Frontosa.  This is what the previous owner of the tank primarily kept.  

I work on the SE side of town so Megan's Tropical Emporium (formerly Neptune's), Tropical Fish Depot, Aqua Zoo as well as the Fish and Pets Ranch are all within ten minutes or so of me so I frequent them on and off quite a bit.  I've been to Village Tropical Fish and Aquarium World several times and finally visited Houston Aquatics last week but other than that have not been to any other LFS here in Houston.

Anyway, I'm very busy these days so my modest goal is simply to have it up and running with just a few fish in it by Christmas.  I don't have any questions right now but I'm sure I'll have some along the way.  Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself.

Re: New to Group and Hobby

Welcome!  You're at the right place to asks questions when you're ready.
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Welcome to the Box!

Ellen

Comment

welcome!
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Welcome, I think you are wise to do the research.

max

Comment

grrr.. im jealous.. i want a 110..
            welcome

Comment

Brownsnoutuk How are a 125!!
              Smokin_Cache
              Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
              Lets see what the imagination fruits.
              Check out my last tank

Comment

jtfields Sorry! Glad to have you here. Hey I have a background that came with my 125 I think!! Also I have a few smaller chunks-o-holy rock laying around. Shoot me a PM.
                Smokin_Cache
                Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
                Lets see what the imagination fruits.
                Check out my last tank

Comment

Welcome!
                  Raul
                  PokerFace

Comment

I dont have any money :(
                    Maybe when we get our IRS refund cheque. We way overpaid our taxes.

Comment

Howdy
                      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Wow, that was a lot of quick replies.  Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Smokin - I PM'd you.

Comment

That's cool. Another fish lover in Deer Park.  I think that makes a total of three now....LOL

Raul
                          Raul
                          PokerFace

Comment

Welcome, good to have you here!  
                            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I live in Friendswood and frequent Megan's and Aqua Zoo, both very respectable places.  Anyway, if you need any help setting stuff up, or wanting some plant clippings let me know.  A 110gallon starter tank is pretty ambitious ... but if you are going to go .. go big ...

Logan5
                              There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X