help with plant i.d.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with plant i.d.

saw this very nice looking plant at one of the lfs in town and i went ahead and brought it home. the lfs guys didnt know what it was other than it being a live plant so i ask of you guys to help me i.d. this plant.

just wanted to know what kind of plant it is, my tank is high light, co2 and fertilized daily so basically a high maintenance tank. the plant came in a pot with the fiber stuff wrapped around the base. looks to be just stems and it is all very hard feeling. the leaves almost look like the cryp wendetti i have in the tank but much stiffer and purple on the underside.

sorry for the bad pictures but the best i could do with my phone and no real camera.

i just looked through the plant database and at a glimpse it does look like the orchid lily but there are some differences.

the top side of the leaves on my plant are green.
    the stems are more like twigs very hard and brittle like feel.
    the leaves are thinner and somewhat jagged on the edges.

any info,link or what not will be greatly appreciated.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Re: help with plant i.d.

n/m found it, Hemigraphis repanda
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

What are you going to do with it? If it is Hemigraphis repanda, everything I've seen says that's not an aquatic plant.
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

yeah its not an aquatic plant.

i guess im gonna take it out now but who knows.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

really odd thing happened with this plant....

when in water the leaves were really hard and would stand up on thier own. after finding out that the plant is not an aquatic plant i took it out and put it in a pot out of water and later that day the leaves all wilted and pretty much died. i have now put it back into a cup of water and its getting back to its original state. another thing i noticed after putting it back into the cup is that the water was dyed slightly purple but probably because the leaves were already messed up.

anyone know what kind of plant this is? it seems that it is in fact an aquatic plant so i dont know what to do.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

here are some new pictures with a real camera

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Wow, weird! When you first posted, I automatically thought some kind of crypt, just because a lot I've seen have that purple underneath, and it does have a similar shape to some crypts. (Maybe an emersed-grown crypt that hadn't been at the LFS for very long? Did the employee say how long it had been there?) But, I'd trust APC over my iffy guess.  

When you put it in a pot out of water, did it have soil? A lot of bog plants and such can grow for small periods of time in water, and usually do really well in a wet substrate. Maybe it wilted so quickly because it had been submerged for so long, and didn't take well to being in a completely dry environment?

I'm going to check over on APC, see if you posted there and received any answers. If not, I'll try to search a little when I have time, I'm curious as to what it is.  :)
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

i planted it in a cup of water with the leaves out the cup had ferts in it but im guessing the same as you, it got use to be submerged.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                X