Angel Eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel Eggs

Well, my Angels were busy while I was out of town.  I came back into town a day early and found a pair of my Angels, a Smokey and a SuperVeil had spawned for the first time.  They're not in a separate tank so I doubt they'll be able to adequately protect the eggs.  Like I have room for more fish anyway  

I'll try to take follow up pics if the eggs last.
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Re: Angel Eggs

How exciting!

Ellen

Comment

Best of luck.  My angels could not protect their eggs from the other fish.  About a month ago I moved my two pairs to their own planted tank so they could raise their own.  They did not like their move and did not spawn again.  Finally on Sunday, one pair did.  But snails were after the eggs.  I moved the eggs and in my normal fashion I managed to kill all the eggs.

I need to stick with raising snails, I have great success with them.

Comment

Good luck I could never get my angels eggs to hatch, but they spawned a couple of times.

Comment

I'm not expecting the eggs to be there tomorrow morning.  I do have a 20 gallon I can set up for the pair but I don't think I'll get to before the weekend.

Comment

It is quite normal for domestic angels to eat their eggs. Over the years they seem to have lost the parenting instinct. A lot of pairs will get the routine down after several tries, this is even when they are in a tank of their own. Most angels do not have the ability to completely protect the eggs in a community tank. If you really want to try raising a batch of the eggs, you should probably steal the eggs and hatch them out yourself.
            I use a one gallon jug. I put the slate (I put slate in all my pair tanks for them to lay eggs on) in the one gallon jug, place the one gallon jug in a 10 gallon tank, add an air stone and put in 5 drops on methylene blue or acriflavine. after two days they should become wigglers and about day 7 they should start free swimming. after all are free swimming I start feeding baby brine shrimp. after they are free swimming for a day or two and eating, I empty the one gallon jug into the 10 gallon tank and that is their home for the first two weeks, then I move them out into grow out tanks.
            lots of stuff I am not including here, but this is an over view.
            GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

pretty neat!!

i had my guppies that i though were defective have babies while i was gone this weekend and as expected they were all eaten except for two that managed to hide till i saw them.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Great pictures! Definitely post some more if the eggs are still there. If not, it's still exciting to see that they spawned!
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

As expected, the eggs are now gone.  This was their first spawn so I didn't have any hopes of the parents being able to defend and raise the eggs/fry.  They were really defending the leaf so they at least they have that part down.  I'll give them some time and if they don't pick up the knack of parenting I will try to raise the fry away from the parents.

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
                    pretty neat!!

i had my guppies that i though were defective have babies while i was gone this weekend and as expected they were all eaten except for two that managed to hide till i saw them.
                    Why did you think they were defective?  Are the two survivors still hanging around?

Comment

If you want to try letting them parent raise, one trick you may try is not turning the lights off at night, some times the parents get confused when the light go off and then on and seem to forget the eggs or wigglers are theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by szidlon";p="
                        pretty neat!!

Why did you think they were defective?  Are the two survivors still hanging around?

i thought they were defective cause i had them for soo long now and their bellies just got bigger and bigger but never and babies. the two that survived i netted them out and they are now with my cherry shrimp.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks Obed,

I'll try that.  I'm going to go ahead and set up a 20 gallon for the happy couple.  I have several 10's sitting around so tanks are not a problem, space however is.  But, as true to the hobby, I'll find a nook or cranny somewhere.  Where did you get your slate?  I know I can them on Aquabid but I was wondering if they were available locally.

Comment

Originally posted by szidlon";p="
                            pretty neat!!

i thought they were defective cause i had them for soo long now and their bellies just got bigger and bigger but never and babies. the two that survived i netted them out and they are now with my cherry shrimp.
                            Cool, let us know how they do.

Comment

if you want to cut your own you can get the 12" squares at home depot. I have bought mine from Steve Rybicki at angelsplus. I have also used lengths of 1-1/2 pvc,  but my angelfish seem to prefer the slate.

Comment

Working...
                              X