• Show
Clear All

• baby crawfish & minnows!

today i went out to look for some potential
    oscar food. i went out to the ditch & there was still
    some standing water & i saw some minnows
    swiming around! i grabed my net & caught about 20
    of them & i notisted that i was also catching little baby
    crawfish! i dug around in the mud & caught about 10 of them.
    my oscar was very very happy!
    <I LOVE OSCARS>

Re: baby crawfish &amp; minnows!

i would have quarantine them for awhile with medication before feeding anything from a ditch to any of my fish. you never know whats in the water and where the fish/crayfish have been.

but thats just my opinion.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yah, well i did wash them very thouraly first & i felt that there were clean enough.

thats also just my opinion.
      <I LOVE OSCARS>

Comment

Originally posted by oscar-food";p="
        today i went out to look for some potential
        oscar food. i went out to the ditch & there was still
        some standing water & i saw some minnows
        swiming around! i grabed my net & caught about 20
        of them & i notisted that i was also catching little baby
        crawfish! i dug around in the mud & caught about 10 of them.
        my oscar was very very happy!
        awesome. cheap food! :mrgreen:

Comment

They have some pretty fish in the bayou/grainage ditch that runs through kingwood. Theres also lots of minnows, huge turtles and ive seen a couple of snakes swimming.

Comment

Well no snakes for me thank you.

max

Comment

im not shure how the minnows get in the ditch but i also have a fishing pond w/ bass, sunperch, & catfish. i put some minnow traps out & i cautght allot of minnows from the pond. my friend breeds mollies & platties, he gives me his culled fish,also.

my oscar eats good & he is happy!
              <I LOVE OSCARS>

Comment

you havent tried snake pie?

yeah when i see the snakes i get away from the water, but feeding the turtles is cool and my son loves it.

My wife seems to think the fish in the bayou are sunperch, or rainbow perch. i dont have a clue but theyre probably about 6-7 inches at least. Anybody have any piranhas?

Comment

Well, sorry to come back to it, but my opinion falls in line with eklikewhoa's.  :)  With wild caught fish, there's a huge risk of parasites and such. The mollies that I caught on the safari with max are a good example. Cheap food, yes! But I'd offer the same advice ek did, and quarantine them first to make sure.
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

When quarantining wild caught food (minnows, grass shrimp, etc...) which medicine do ya'll recommend using and for how long?

I'm asking b/c I was thinking about going down to one of the bodies of water here in TX City anc catching some. I bought some misc. aquarium supplies from a garage sale, and there was some diff. medications in the box...Biozyme (small container), Hex-a-mit (7 capsules), Bettamax (15 capsules). Could any of this stuff be used, or is it only specific to Bettas and the sort. Also, how important is the exp. date for these meds.?

Comment

I collect crawfish when we get rain as well. I do quarantine mine though, the last thing I need is to lose several hundred dollars worth of fish by dumping parasites into my tanks.
                      I had noticed the neighbors kid out playing in the ditches and told him I would by any crawfish he found, so now I have several quarantine tanks overflowing with crawfish, hehe.
                      As for meds, I use primarily ich guard just to make sure I am not bringing anything in that I don't want.
                      Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Do you medicate without knowing for sure if anything is wrong? I guess if you're using them for feeders, their overall health doesn't matter in the long run?  :(  I'm just wondering.
                        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Yep, I medicate at 50% on days 1&5, then wait to see that there is nothing else I need to worry about. If 1 in the tank gets sick or shows signs of stress the whole tank gets tossed. Ditch food is to easy to come by to risk the fish.
                          Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

When I have fish that I either don't know where they came from or that I collect, I leave them alone for a week to let them get used to the place. Then I use Parasite Clear Tank Buddies for 3 days in a row, and then once a week for two more weeks. I don't know how practical that is for feeder fish, but it would let you start a nice little parasite free breeding colony if you caught some of the little livebearers like I used to have from a pond!! Those were some prolific fish!

Ellen

Comment

i have a old 10 gal & i am thinking of making it into a quarantine  tank!
                              <I LOVE OSCARS>

Comment

Working...
                              X