"FS: Fish tank" posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "FS: Fish tank" posts

What (if anything) do you do when you see a post somewhere with something similar to the following for sale:

Fish tank! About 10 gallons, fish and everything included! The fish are 2 _______ (insert fish that get really huge), one ______ (common pleco or something similar), and 5 _______ (fish that get pretty darn big).

I see this a lot, and always want to say something, but never do. Does anyone ever say anything? I guess I just feel so helpless!  I mean, what if some unsuspecting person buys this setup? That's just bad all around, for the new owners and for the fish. Anyone else get frustrated with stuff like this? Am I crazy?
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: "FS: Fish tank" posts

i hate that! if i was to sell somthing i would help the buyer as mutch as i could, not mislead them into making a bad buy.
    <I LOVE OSCARS>

Comment

Re: &quot;FS: Fish tank&quot; posts

frustrating, yes.

my view point is:  say what you want, this is america, freedom of speech.  I guess this also takes into consideration that the ad can be replied to & you have the time to own the followup.

if it's open to reply, go for it.

but aproach is 90% of winning hearts and minds... so, maybe just dropping a oneline open question reply to the posting user could be an effective way to make others think before they buy.

something to the degree of:  doesn't that breed get really big (1ft and up)?  would i need to buy a 100gal tank in 3 months?

just my two cents...

Comment

Ooh, good one! I'll keep that in mind. Although a lot of them are in places that I don't think you can post replies viewable by others.  :(  Has anyone ever actually done something like that?

Comment

IMO:

Ugh...I say live and let live. Esp. if you're talking about the people on craigslist. When I was trying to get rid of the feral kittens I found earlier this year, I posted on craiglist. I got SOO many emails telling me not to give the kittens away, and not *one* with somebody wanting a kitten. If you're going to tell them, don't be surprised if you get a nasty reply! These people are trying to get rid of their tanks; they obviously don't know much about the hobby, and probably weren't in it too long. I think that telling them how big a fish is going to be that they're getting rid of is barking up the wrong tree. Instead, you can post a public service announcement telling people to reasearch their fish, etc. before buying of of these ready-made setups. This might save an unsuspecting soul who really wants to get into the hobby from buying a set-up doomed to failure.

My $.02!
          Ellen

Comment

I had a couple come into my Petsmart today looking to set up a 10 gallon tank. when I told them approx. how many fish is reasonable she was ticked. 5 X 2inch tetras and a SMALL algae eater just isn't worth it for most people. they want more fish than water!
            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
            n

Comment

Does the petsmart in The Woodlands have any Petperk cards in?

Comment

sure do. y?
                "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
                n

Comment

i was wanting to get a couple more plecos, just the regular type. i know their cheaper with the card, but the petsmart in Humble hasnt got any.

Comment

heres a good example.

Comment

its worse for turtles. If you know anything about box turtles and how to keep one this will make you sick

his shell is incredibly deformed.
                      n

Comment

That poor turtle! I used to have box turtles and they are a total delight. My female even laid eggs for me one year. Unfortunately I buried them in sand and set them outside in the heat, and my 3 year old made turtle mush out of them! She thought she was helping by stirring the sand!  :(

Comment

Poor little guy.  Sorry about the eggs, too! At least she was acting with good intentions... :(

Comment

Working...
                          X