Help me identify this fish....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me identify this fish....

So last night I was in Fish R Fun. The guy there offered me these tiny little pale yellow fish. He said he would offer me 5 for $1.25 and throw in a free female guppy that I had my eye on. I asked him what they were and he said "yellow lemons". I asked if they were good community fish, and he said they were. When I looked at them closely (being only 1/2" or so) they looked like cichlids. He said they were but not like most other cichlids in that they were excellent community fish. The price was right, so I took them!

Well last night I acclimatized them and then introduced them into the big 150g community tank. This morning they are well settled. They are small, but my tank is mostly small and/or peaceful occupants. The lights haven't gone on yet, but they seem happy hovering around the crevices between some fo the big pebbles.  They look a bit llong, clearly cichlid shaped, yellow with some having a bit of balck or gray at the top edge of the dorsal fin. Some have some white or silver tinge to their pectorals.

I'll see if I cna get some pix later, but in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas?
    Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Re: Help me identify this fish....

If they're yellow lemons/electric yellows/yellow labs I certainly would not consider them a community fish. Yes, they are cichlids if they are yellow labs.  Do they have a black edge to their dorsal fin?
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

its difficult to tell - I will try and snap some pix, but they are very small and very shy. How big can I let them gt before moving them out?
      Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

i don't know about them being good community fish,

seems to be they are african yellow labs

an aggressive cichlid which will get to 6" when fully grown

i guess they will be ok for now, might want to set up a different tank for them later on.

Comment

It depends on how bid the other fish in your community tank are.  I've seen my yellow lab fry become aggressive to their own kind as small as 1/2 inch.  By that I mean chasing each other for dominance or just plain meanness.  If you like yellow and would like more I have about thirty of the little devils.

Comment

Russ,

Is this what you have?

Info on Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric yellow/canary cichlid), with picture

Comment

Yeah that sure looks like it....
              Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

They are half the size of my neons right now....
                Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

If you have a tank full of african/malawi cichlids then yes those would be good community fish but since there was a guppy involved probably not.

Sounds like you got some yellow lab babies.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Couldnt you have killed all the other fish in your tank by adding them without quarantine first?
                    id always thought it was a big deal to quarantine fish for a couple of weeks first.

Comment

Originally posted by Brownsnoutuk";p="
                      Couldnt you have killed all the other fish in your tank by adding them without quarantine first?
                      id always thought it was a big deal to quarantine fish for a couple of weeks first.
                      Its a good idea, but honestly not all good ideas are practical! I just don't have the means to run quarantine like that. Not like you lucky buggers with loads of tanks! So I carefully acclimatize new fish then scoop them out and into my tank. I run a UV sterilizer all the time so most pathogenic organisms are taken care of. Touch wood I have never had a problem....

Err...by any chance, are you Welsh?
                      Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Just letting you all know I moved the rest of this discussion to the Lounge, under the topic "Ethnic Food."  
                        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                        X