New Angelfish tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Angelfish tank

I just bought a new 75 gal show tank and am planning for it to be primarily stocked with angelfish. I will be using some media from my established filter to seed the new filter but I also want to get some little fish in there to make sure it cycles ok before putting any angels in. I am new to angelfish and was wondering if zebra danios would be ok to cycle the tank with? I have read that angels can be agressive toward smaller fish but there is soooo much conflicting information out there that I would love some input from those with angelfish experience.

Also, if anyone has any tips or tricks specific to getting my angel tank set up and ready, I would love to hear those too.
    Bacteria: the only culture some people have

Re: New Angelfish tank

Obed is the guy to talk to.

Comment

Zebra danios work fine for cycling new tanks. You can leave them in the tank when cycling is completed if you want, they are too fast for the angels to waste too much time chasing them around. Angels are only semi-aggressive. If something is small enough to be food, they will go after it, the rest of their aggressiveness is reserved for establishing their pecking order with other angels. Angels will rarely be aggressive enough to kill another angel. Usually the problem exists if there is not enough cover or if you only have 2 angels. In larger groups no one fish gets all the abuse, it does happen sometimes though, that the immune system of a badgered fish is weakened by the stress and can have disease issues and die.
      when you decide to go for your angels I will be glad to help. You are welcome to come by and see my hatchery set up and if you have questions that I can help with, just let me know.
      GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

How big are the Angelfish you plan on starting with?  You should be okay as long as the Angels are still fairly small.  However, when the Angels get larger the Danios may well become a snack so I wouldn't get too attached to them  

I have some Cardinal Tetras in with my Angels and they seem to be doing okay.  Only two have vanished in about a month.
        Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I don't have a problem with black neons in with my angels, even though they're tiny and the angels are big. I also keep them well-fed. Mine are also usually so involved with finding their place and trying to move up in the pack that they don't bother the other fish. Thats another one of the benefits of having several together, like Obed stated.

Ellen

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys! I have been keeping fish since I was 7 but all my experience has been with barbs and rainbowfish. Seeing all the beutiful pics of angels here on the box has inspired me to branch out. When I got this new tank, I just knew I had to put angels in it!

Obed, I may just take you up on that offer one of these days! Thanks for your help!
            Bacteria: the only culture some people have

Comment

Working...
            X