League City Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• League City Water

Does anyone live in or around league city have problems with tap water? I killed off an entire tank before using it and was wondering what anyone else had to say about it.

Re: League City Water

My family lives in Lg. City and had about 7-8 tanks set-up....all using municipal water. To my knowledge, they never had a problem.

Comment

i live in tx city & i had a problem at first (killed all fish that i put in the tank)but one fish eventuly lived & after a week i stocted it w/ fish again & they were fine.
      <I LOVE OSCARS>

Comment

I am not in League City. I suggest you get a test kit and test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. You should use chlorine remover drops as well. I have well water but sometimes I use drops to neutralize bleach. I make my own chlorine remover drops from sodium thiosulfate.

max

Comment

Test it specifically for nitrites. There are sometimes problems in that area with nitrites...which is weird.
          --Charles
          Charles Jones
          http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
          Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Well, because of this thread, I tested my tap water last night. I live pretty much in the middle of Houston, and the water tested positive for nitrites. Not a huge amount, but enough to be detectable. I don't like that very much! I'm sure my fish don't, either, probably more so! Is there anything to do if your water tests positive for nitrites? Or do you just have to turn up the filter and hope the bacteria in there can convert it quickly? I'm a bit hesitant to do as many water changes as normal.
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

It seems to be a seasonal thing. Prime (I forget who makes it - want to say Seachem) detoxifies nitrites. Contact the water people though and make them go to the trouble of coming out to test it. If they get enough calls I imagine the problem goes away.
              Charles Jones
              http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
              Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

I live in League City and have 5 tanks running as we speak, (75g, 55g, 40g, 30g, 10g).  As far as set up stage, I used Stress Coat and Stress Zyme.  The water had traces of ammonia a few months ago and had a green tint to it.  I talked to a few of the LFS's around here and have come to the conclusion that the discoloration is from all of the construction on FM 518.  As far as killing off tanks of fish, you may have stocked your tank too fast without letting the nitrogen cycle take its course.  Just my two pennies worth.

Comment

I am in Texas City now, but have lived in Dickinson for the past 25 years.
                  We all get the same surface water from the canal and each water district treats the water they use.  You can ask the people that send you a water bill for water reports but that will only tell you about problems after the fact.   I have lost fish to new water in the past even after treating.  I think they double dose the chemicals when there are water line breaks or new lines due to construction.  You should get in the habit of testing after you have treated the water.  They use chloramines in this area so using simple chlorine removers will not do the trick.

I now use a 55g drum to age my tap water.   I use the water in the drum to do water changes, top off a tank or fill a new one.  Then I fill the drum with tap water and let it age, most of the chemicals in the water that they use to kill things in the water will evaporate in a few days.   I circulate the water with a small sump pump, to help it adjust to fish room temp and treat the water for pH and chemicals that haven't evaporated during ageing.

I also have an RO system for those fish that like soft water because the hardness in our tap water is around 200.
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                  X