Oct. swap n sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oct. swap n sell

Well, it looks like this months swap n sell is falling on the same weekend as the FOTAS convention. Our event will be Sat. the 21st starting at 9:00 AM and running until Noon. Immediately following our swap n sell event we will be having the club BBQ. For those of you planning to stay in town Sat. we would love it if you could make the event and spend some time visiting and enjoying some free food. I look forward to seeing some new faces as well as some familiar ones on Saturday.
    Please, let me know if you plan on attending and how many will be in your group. I would hate to have to much or to little food on hand.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Re: Oct. swap n sell

I thought you said there would never be a swap-n-sell in the same month that HAS is having an auction.
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

This is more for the BBQ than the swap to be honest. I had been promising everyone that we would do this thing in Oct and that is the only weekend that I dont have prior plans, so, by default I guess it got planned for me. Besides which, I can fudge a little since this isn't a true HAS event but rather a FOTAS event, which HAS just happens to be a member club. I will use that as my salve to sooth my concience, hehe.
      Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

FOTAS is just the showing & banquet. The Auction belongs to HAS.

First its just a so call loop hole then before we know it. Nothing will matter.

Wonder what ever happen to a mans word?
        I guess its the times we live in.
        Mod OF Marshreef

Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Excuse me? I never knew this was so important to you Walter, especially since you have demonstarted such a stellar attendance, showing what 3 times in the last year? If I have offended you in my choosing to host an event for those in the club and or those who might wish to meet and or join us I am truly sorry. The simple solution is of course simple, just don't come. As for the rest of us who do decide to come, we will enjoy the BBQ and think of you, enjoy the convention, no hard feelings here.

Comment

I have wanted to attend one of these functions. Thus far I have been unable to. I understand that you made a promise to some people to have this event in October. I just hope that this event so recently promised does not take too many people away from the FOTAS convention which people have been planning and working towards for two years. That having been said, you are, of course, free to plan whatever events you would like. I really don't want to stir up any trouble. I was just hoping for more cooperation and consideration between the clubs and am a bit disappointed as the FOTAS event, a statewide covention, won't be returning to Houston for several years and I just wish that people didn't have to choose between the two. I appreciate the support of this board and I certainly hope that in the future these issues won't occur.
            --Charles
            Charles Jones
            http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
            Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Scott I happen to belong to 4 different fish clubs in the Houston area.
              Sorry for not being able to attend all of the metings to all of the clubs.
              I do enjoy going to as many of the meetings as possible.
              Your meeting happens to be on a Friday evening with swap-n-sell in AM on a Saturday. I do work & sometimes I have to work late or have to work on Saturday. I have questioned you several times about the swap-n-sell conflicting with HAS's auction. You reassured me each time that you WOULD NOT have it in the same month. Now not only are you having it the same month but on the same weekend. I might be wrong but it sounds like your trying to undermind not only the auction but the showing of FOTAS.
              I was hoping that 2 clubs in the Houston area could coexist at the same time with both clubs wroking together. After all if the clubs would work together it would make a more pleasant experance for all the hobbiest. Is this not what the clubs are for?
              We have 2 different fish boards in Houston & they seam to be working with each other, not against each other.

Walter
              Mod OF Marshreef

Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I support Scott completely.
                The fact is that not everyone wants to attend FOTAS and I for one will be at the barbque.  I think it is rediculous to say that a local Swap n Sell conflicts with the HAS auction.

If after all the years that HAS has dominated the hobby in Houston, Scott having a Swap N Sell in the same weekend endangers the attendence at FOTAS and the auction speaks loudly - and certainly not in favor of the state of  HAS and it's events.

Comment

Trademan I think you are missing the point here.
                  My posting is not so much as the timing of his swap-n-sell. It is how ever about how Scott is or is not a man of his word.
                  If some one is going to lead a group of people. They should at the very minimum walk the walk that they talk.
                  I am on the other hand not saying that HAS is perfect but they do seam to be working with the other clubs & forums in Houston as well as clubs in Texas.

By the way your talking it does leave me with the impression that there are some people that have become bitter with HAS. In which the old saying is you cant please all the people all the time.
                  I dont think if a handfull of people is going to affect FOTAS at all.
                  I personnally hope that I dont become bitter to any of the clubs. I would still like to be able to attend Scotts meeting when time permits me to.

I would just like to see everyone be able to attend as many meetings in all the clubs as possible for them. For some reason I fell that Scott planned this bar b que on the same weekend as FOTAS on purpose. I do know for some reason or another he has some distastefull feelings towards HAS. By doing this he maybe putting the same distaste in other peoples mouth towards his club.

I feel like it would not have been a big deal for Scott to have waited 2 more weeks to have his bar b que. Which would have put the meeting into November. He probably would have a bigger attendance. Is this not what its all about to get more people to come?
                  Mod OF Marshreef

Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Guess I will throw my two cents in.

Walter, you made your point already concerning how you feel about the man's word.  I believe that is between the two of you and if you felt strongly enough to tell Scott how you feel, maybe you should have sent a private message or called the man.

I have nothing against HAS or HLA.  Personally I like Scott's club and I don't believe it is large enough to undermine any other clubs.  It isn't mandatory for anyone to go to the BBQ.  I for one if able would prefer to hang out at Scott's place vs. the FOTAS/HAS event.  Not to say I will never attend a HAS event.  

Its like if I decided to have a BBQ on the same day of Scott's auction and invited people including members of the HLA.  If people come to my BBQ vs. Scott's place, so what.  Or the other way around, no sweat off my back.

Walter, I must say that I am surprised at how you attacked Scott's integrity on this open forum.  I don't think that was a cool thing to do.  

I don't know if I made any sense or not, but I say live and let live.  

I enjoy this site so much, I hate to see it used to attack another member.  

Raul
                    Raul
                    PokerFace

Comment

Perhaps I need to clarify. I'm not worried about our event. As a matter of fact my main worry is that it might get too big for the number of volunteers that we have and the time we have allotted, especially for the auction. HAS has been around since 1950. It's not going anywhere. All I was trying to say is why make someone who might want to attend both events have to choose. Having people there on Saturday for the speakers and or banquet is nice. But for those of you who might have never organized an event like this, you might be interested to know that the Saturday events will LOSE MONEY, no matter what. It's not about attracting people for the sake of HAS or FOTAS. It's about providing our members and others in the community and the rest of the clubs in the state of Texas an opportunity to see some great speakers and just generally provide some fellowship on a level that only a larger event like this can provide. This is not about a competition. If it becomes that I can settle it right now. You win. Rather it is about a courtesy to our members and your own. The same courtesy that we (HAS) show each time we schedule an event. I check all the websites and call or email those other clubs for which I have contact information before I even think about setting up a calendar date for any of our events. Now if a situation arises where there is no choice, I completely understand. It just didn't sound to me like this was one of those times. Insofar as HAS dominating the local hobby in Houston - I have a somewhat different definition of domination. Relatively few hobbyists even know about HAS. I'm not sure how that translates into domination. Domination also implies competition, and, as I stated before, its not a competition. Now, if an individual has had a problem with HAS in the past or present and has been unhappy with the past or present alternatives, which until recently have basically been nonexistent, I can understand the thinking that HAS dominated. But the truth of the matter is not that HAS dominated anything, but that, until recently, no one has undertaken the effort to try to provide a viable alternative. That includes anyone who ever had any sort of issues with HAS. I'm not writing this to make anyone seem like a bad person or to try to promote the HAS event over anyone else's. In truth, I would love to be able to attend both. And that's the point, when two clubs' events are scheduled for the same day and it could have been avoided, it's not the clubs that lose out....it's the MEMBERS that do. And that ought to be the main concern for any of us.

Scott...it won't get easier. It's frustrating sometimes. But hang in there. And, believe it or not, you have our support.

Walter...accusing the man of going against his word, whether right or wrong, was something that, in my opinion, should have been undertaken in private.

Trademan....you have no clue as to the state of HAS and its events. If you think you do, come try being auctioneer for 10 or so hours at FOTAS and you can see what a poor state of affairs it is. I think that would speak loudly to your knowledge of the same. Your assumption of the state of affairs of any club where you have zero first hand knowledge is, other than what I addressed with Walter concerning what should have been done privately, the only idea in this thread that wasn't well thought out and/or sensible.

Now....hopefully I've pissed off everyone equally and we can all start again at square one, shake hands, and be done with this nonsense.
                      Charles Jones
                      http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
                      Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Honestly, I did't plan to have my event conflict with the FOTAS convention, it was only after confirming that that was the only free weekend I had this month that I realised that it was a conflict. I will be asking our members at this evenings gathering if they want to go ahead or reschedule the event for a possible Xmas party instead. I would hope that Charles knows I am not taking a shot at HAS, granted, I have my own personal issues with some of HAS's practices, as I am sure there are some who have issues with the way LHA is run. That's why there is free will and personal choice. As for my word, I am sorry that you feel that way, however I am a firm believer that those with whom I deal on a regular basis would have a far different opinion. Charles, we would love it if you could find your way to one of our gatherings, there is always room for one more. I will warn you though, as the fish room continues to grow, the meeting area seems to be shrinking, hehe.
                        Back to the issue at hand, Walter, I must say that I am more than a little offended. I am funding not only the club, but also the events and the BBQ out of my own pocket. As you know, the club has no membership dues nor event fees, as such anything that the club does is funded solely out of my personal pocket. To think that I would deliberately go out of my way to schedule a conflict in the attempt to "steal" away 1 or 2 people from a long standing event is frankly insulting. Personally, I would just as soon keep that money and invest in new breeding stock, but as I am a "man of my word", I thought maybe I should keep my word and proceed with the BBQ as promised. Honestly, I just don't get it. You do your best to provide a stress free environment for people to gather and visit, and you are attacked for your efforts. Thank you Walter for affirming my belief that no good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Scott,

Is there a meeting tonight?  Please let me know....thanks.
                          Raul
                          PokerFace

Comment

Yes, 7PM

Comment

OK, after discussing the matter with those members of the club who attended tonights gathering, it was decided to go ahead with the BBQ. Our event will begin at 9am with a small swap n sell and then progress into the BBQ afterwards. Anyone wishing to attend please let me know so I can be sure to have enough food on hand so noone leaves hungry. Also in the works, since this event is falling at a bad time, is a Xmas party. One of our members has graciously offered to host the gather in their home. I will get the details up for that once I know more.

Comment

Working...
                              X