Trouble with 55g tank - is it an oxygen problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with 55g tank - is it an oxygen problem

I have been discouraged lately with the tank. Ever since I got ICH in the tank it has been a battle. First I lost the 2 clown loaches and 6 little Otos. The while I was an vacation I lost a blue leopard danio and a guppy (the gups were in a separate 2.5g tank). Then I lost another leopard danio - got sucked into the intake tube he was so small. And the plants weren't looking too good.

Next my neon tetras got fat bellies, pale skin and looked puffy. One by one they died. I think it was dropsy. In the other tank the guppies were going one at a time, but I think they had wasting disease - that's why they were in there.

So I am bummed and have no algae control except the shrimp, and they don't do windows, so my husband get me 2 suckermouth catfish (common plecos). I don't have a whole lot of algae but I like to keep it that way. Those were good cleaner but dug up plants and terrorized the clown loaches, taking over their root stump. The clowns have been hiding in it since I was on vacation.

Plecos are gone now, replaced with 2 flying foxes. So I have been researching to figure out what to do. My clowns are hiding, my glowlight tetras are acting odd, and 30% of the plants are gone - the java moss has totally dissappeared.

My water parameters are good, ammo 0, nitrite 0, ph 7.4, nitrate 20 (wish that was a bit lower) and I did a 25% water change. There was no change in the fish behaviour - didn't seem good though. Last night I added an airstone to the right side of the tank to get more air flowing. The filter is on the left side. I had a post asking for advice on this awhile back. Today everyone seems to be more active, and the clowns have come out to eat, so maybe that is the problem. My only complaint is that the water is flowing too much - I think - and the food is getting swept away rather quickly. I see a lot of debris floating around. I do have a small corner filter that works with the aristone. It has some floss and carbon that came with it. Should I put that in as well, or just leave the airstone?

Sorry this is so long.

Daisy

Re: Trouble with 55g tank - is it an oxygen problem

Daisy,

What type of filter do you have?  Is it possible it needs the media cleaned?

If the airstone is generating too much movement you can buy a control to put in the airline to adjust the flow of air.
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Szid - I just cleaned the filter, and the media. It's an Aquaclear 300 external power filter. It has a sponge on the bottom, then the carbon, then the bio stones. I have considered putting it in the center of the tank, but I think I like the airstone. Looks pretty cool. I wanted an ornament for it but I'm not too thrilled with skeletons and treasure chests . . . looking for something a bit different.

Now, where do I get a control for the airstone?

Comment

You can find one at almost any LFS.  You can get them in plastic or brass.  There are a variety of choices, some of which can control multiple airlines from a single air pump.

Oh, almost forgot.  You're probably seeing more debris floating around due to the additional circulation.  I would wait and see if your Aquaclear clears it up in a day or so.
        Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Thanks szid! I think that the stone is stirring up the calm side of the tank - which is good because I want the Aquaclear to get rid of it. The root stump seems to be the place for the poo to gather!

Comment

Working...
          X