Bayou Mollies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayou Mollies

So, the mollies I caught on Saturday's safari are still doing well. I thought there were seven, but actually eight of them are in the tank. They're still pretty jumpy, not used to all the new things going on around them. But they're getting better...the first day or two I couldn't even turn on the light in the tank. Then I moved a desk lamp over the tank when I took the pictures, because I'm wondering about one of them. So, that would explain why the pictures aren't that great, between the low light and them not really coming out into the open all that much. But, they're eating well, which is a start!  

First of the questions is about their looks. It seems as though the smaller males have vertical stripes on their sides, which I have never seen in sailfins, especially not the ones I have from Florida. Is it just me? Does anyone think it's some kind of juvenile coloration? Or maybe it's just a local variant? Another thing is their nostrils/nares/whatever you want to call them. They're bright yellow! It's funny to see them in the shadows of plants, with a fluorescent light over them, all you can see is two glowing yellow dots. I guess I'll have to wait and see, when some of the males get bigger, if they're colorings and such are different enough to notice, but just wanted to get some opinions if they're out there.

The other question I have is about one of the larger females. Her left side seems to be missing a gill cover (operculum? think that's what it's called). As I was saying, the pictures didn't turn out wonderfully because of the lower light, but I'll post a couple and try again when they're less nervous. But, will this affect her at all? She doesn't seem to be breathing harder or faster than any of the others, and she's eating along with them. But, I'm assuming it'll never grow back...just wondering if I should do anything about it.  :(

Thanks! :)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Bayou Mollies

This one shows the nostrils also.

Comment

I have no answers for you, but it is really cool that you caught these here in Houston! I want to see pictures once you get them used to the lights.

Comment

That's interesting about the yellow, maybe it's their form of headlights to enable them to see around the old tires and tin cans.  
        Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I keep mine in an outdoor pond so i don't see them too well but I am nearly sure the coloration of the males is a juvenile trait that will change at adulthood. Having collection data is a big deal with the ALA and the www.goodied.com. They want to keep the fish strains pure so thay can be reintroduced into the wild if something happens to them. These are Poecilia latipinna Buffalo Bayou Mzungu 2006! Very special fish!

max

Comment

I think the pictures came out great for being taken in low light. They must have been posing for you as there seems to be no movement blur.
            75gal heavy planted tank
            pea gravel on soil substrate
            DIY CO2
            3 zebra botias, 9 glowlights, 2 yoyo loachs, wild guppies

55gal planted
            same substrate
            DIY CO2
            1 gold, 1 zebra, 4 koi, 2 dark zebra angels, ghost & amano shrimp

Comment

Thanks, Max! And, unfortunately, even though I'd love to think they were posing for me, too, they're probably not.  :(  They were still just really, REALLY nervous at the time, and not moving much at all. But thanks!  :) You know, what probably helped in the low light were their headlights...

They're still doing okay, but now they've starting flashing against the plants in there, which has me very worried. I'm going to start doing some research on gill parasites/flukes/diseases, because it seems as though they're only rubbing their gills against things in the tank. I hope it's nothing, and definitely hope it's not what made that one female lose her gill cover...but I guess we'll see.

Comment

when i was way younger i would go with friends to our bayou and catch all sorts of mollies, mosquito fish, turtles, texas cichlids, and even spotted a pair of albino oscars once.

those were the days.....
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Have you treated for parasites yet?  Did you add any freshwater aquarium salt?

Raul
                  Raul
                  PokerFace

Comment

I think Raul is right maybe you should use some parisite clear or something.

max

Comment

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I've added some aquarium salt. I don't want to add any meds until I know what's going on with them. And I've been looking around the internet (when I'm not busy at work) today, and gotten many ideas for cures and whatnots, but they're pretty conflicting. Some say salt will do the trick, some say anything with copper, since it kills all inverts (I'm thinking of steering clear of that, I remember some people adding copper to their reef tanks and YEARS later they still couldn't have a reef...), some even say Potassium Permanganate dips, and then there are all these other parasite meds....

So, I'm thinking more research is in store for me. And I think as long as I do daily water changes (25-50%) they'll hold over until I'm sure about what to do. Also because they just got moved from the bayou to a tank, and I hesitate to change their world around yet again. But it really all depends...I don't want to take too long, so I'm hoping to have a plan (and a medicine) by this weekend.  :)

Does anyone have any advice/experience with the gill cover problem?

Comment

Hi Max,

the link above for goodied.com takes me to a cybersquat landing page.

i tried varient spelling of goodeid.com and i get an interesting 'it works' text msg.

is there another URL for these guys?

Comment

Well, I don't know if this is the site Max was talking about, but there is a "goodeids.com."

Comment

A friend told me to use some Calcium powder for Aquariums.  Some parasites do not like it and it is suppose to be good for your fish.

Raul
                            Raul
                            PokerFace

Comment

thank you, Mzungu

Comment

Working...
                              X