shelldweller keepers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shelldweller keepers?

"Jewels of the Rift" sparked my intrest in shellies and after a visit to mike@sunny's i was the owner of 5 gold L.ocellatus even though they seem to be all male but thats ok i have a harem of 6 coming from dane at RiftToReef in dallas. just wanted to share some pictures i took of them and maybe see some pictures of what y'all have. also wanted to credit ultimate fish since i got the neothauma shells from them, they didnt have any for sale but did have lots in their tanks and was kind enough to part with them for me.

700g Mini-Monster tank

Re: shelldweller keepers?

I hate to sound stupid (and I missed the Jewels special) but what are those fish? They are really cute. Are they freshwater? I have a bunch of those shells in a display case at my house.

Comment

They are african cichlids from lake tanganyika(sp?) and they are shell dwelling/living cichlids. Their life revolves around the shell and hardly venture far from it. They breed in them, seek refuge in them, sleep in them and raise fry in them.

Search/google shell dweller or ocellatus.

So you have neothauma shells in a display case? Where did you get them from? The shells in my tank are from the same lake in africa as the shellies.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Eklikewhoa,

I can't begin to remember where I got those shells. I have just always been fascinated with shells, and have collected them over the years from here and there. There used to be a shop at the Ren Fest, years ago, where you could buy shells. Every year I would add more to the collection until it got to a point that it was kinda ridiculous. Now they are all housed in a table display - it's a round table with a glass top, so you can see them.

I really like those little guys - do they get big?

Daisy

Comment

Shell dwellers are awesome, it was that or the sumbu dwarves, i picked the dwarves. sorry ocellatus. it was the show jewel of the rift that pushed me to buy them.
          Plecos:
          L083 (Gibby)
          L104 (Clown)
          L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
          L155 (A. Hystrix)
          L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
          LDA72 (BN)
          LDA76 (False Zebra)
          Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
          Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

Daisymac, will those people be at the ren fest this year? Might have to look for the stand you are referring to. These occies get to about 2" there are some that get bigger but not many.

Armadillo_Del_Rio, I like the dwarves too! But I have one too many calvus and compressicep so I wanted something different and I like how the occies look when flared up.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

maybe when i get a bigger house i will have to get a couple....
              Plecos:
              L083 (Gibby)
              L104 (Clown)
              L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
              L155 (A. Hystrix)
              L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
              LDA72 (BN)
              LDA76 (False Zebra)
              Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
              Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

Working...