New House, New aquarium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New House, New aquarium

This may sound like it's opening off topic but I wanted to journal my big move.

Moved into my new house in the Woodlands a few weeks ago and got my 75 set up. (been sitting in the garage collecting dust till I got my own place) Its tiny but its mine.

BIG back yard that backs up to a park!  Needs a pond.

If I have the money and the right people I'm going to tear out a wall and put a shower in the half bath.  1 1/2 bath isn't enough sence I'm looking for a room mate. Great location, good neighborhood, garage parking, $350/month (aquarium/computer people prefered, pass it on)

My Tank..
    I got my neighbor curtis to get me a bag of soil master select charcoal. In my haste to get the tank set up I neglected to add any peat or other soil to the mixture so my substrait is pretty dead right now.  

Got the 2x96 bright kit from AHsupply.com last week, built a box and got it installed this afternoon.

Soon as I turned it on the few vals I have started bubling!  The tiny light box I had from my 30 gallon didn't accomplish anything.

The next step on this journey is aquascaping and finding just the right combinations of plants to keep a warm discus tank looking healthy and stable.  I am also in search of that PERFECT piece of driftwood to accent the left side of the tank. Ebay has some good pieces but the last one I had my eye on went for 70 bucks..  
    I Have spent a few hours at http://aquatic-gardeners.org/ and it is very helpful in the scaping.  but any help here would be appriciated

If I can make ends meat (I need a room mate or a better job) I hope to get a pressurized CO2 setup in the not too distant future. With a PH monitor to keep the ph stable for the discus and the CO2 up for the plants. Hard to do both with DIY yeast.

I'm going to pick up some plants at work tomorrow (petsmart in the woodlands)  We got in a bunch of healthy looking plants Tuesday!  The best selection we've had sence I've been there.

So far I've spent very little on this venture. $185 for tank and stand BRAND NEW on ebay. I'm using the $45 Jebo canister and the $40 13w Jebo UV sterilizer from my last tank (30 gallon) DIY hood, the lights were a birthday present. DIY CO2, and $17 for the Soilmaster select.

I'll Ebay the 30 gallon aquarium, stand, filter, and light box to help pay for plants and driftwood.

ALSO, I got a leaky 150 gallon that was returned to petsmart in my garage. Silicone is stripped and ready to be re-applied! Biggest 4 foot tank u ever saw!
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
    n

Re: New House, New aquarium

Looks good!

How much are you asking for the 30g? Is it the 30 long or high?
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Congratulations on the new place! I love journals. Fill us in!

Comment

I'll probably put it up on ebay. Should be able to get a little more for it there. That and I really don't know what its worth.   Built the light myself using styrophone and carbonfiber. I made the mistake of using that paper covered foam board and with the heat and humidity it is kinda flimsy. It's really bright though! plenty of O2 coming off the plants in that tank. even with only 2 of 3 flourescents plugged in and no reflectors!
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
        n

Comment

ugh. just resealed the 150. what a mess...

I didn't read the instructions on the silicone so I didn't realize there was a seal under the cap.. thought cutting the tip WAS breaking the seal.. so when i cranked down on the caulk gun the silicone came out the wrong end. coating the caulk gun in silicone....  *typical of me*

so I drove to walmart to get some more but the only silicone 1 they had was white. so I went with silicone 2  (suposed to hold better, but we'll see)

I think the beads I layed down are too small for a 150, and I'm not sure I got the surface as clean as I needed.  

I'm not getting my hopes up. These big DIY projects never go well for me. I feel like such a 12 year old some times. Wish me luck.
          n

Comment

doesn't silicone 2 have a mold resistant ingredient?

Comment

yes, but I don't plan on putting anything in the tank for quite some time. Days before i put water. weeks before it sees the first feeder fish. and probably a few months before I get anything valuable.
              n

Comment

WOO!  

Full and dry for 24 hours!
                probably going to let it sit for a week or more before continuing.

not sure if I will sell to pay for a big CO2 system and plants for my 75, or set up for a discus tank.
                n

Comment

Did a little maintainance on my filter recently. Threw out the carbon and (i'm guessing) the ammonia reducer.  replaced the carbon a week later (yesterday) and put in 4 plastic scouring pads for more biological filtration.  I also added some fine pillow stuffing to add to the mechanical filtration.

Well my tank has clouded up ALOT before and sence this maintainance. I can't see from one end to the other now.  I'm wondering if I just sturred things up or did I kill off my bacteria? maybe Its my CO2 generator.. or my OLD uv bulb....  

Also, my 150 has water underneath. It may just be condensation on a cool day... but I'll keep an eye on it.

I was out for a skate yesterday and I noticed SWORD plants growing emersed in some of the water ways around The Woodlands between Sawdust and Woodlands parkway near my house. I went and pulled up some and put it in my dirty tank (after putting it in the fridge for an hour or so to kill some bugs.. etc) I also pulled up some penny wort.. I've also spotted Water lettuce and duck week in the same areas.  I wonder what else I can find in there.
                  n

Comment

I'm making a trip into town to visit some REAL aquarium stores. The plan is to visit Village but I want to know where else we should stop on our trip from the woodlands. any suggestions
                    n

Comment

Fish r us
                      Ultimate fish

Both are off 45
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The last few days i've noticed what I hope is condensation under the 150.

This is happening in 2 corners. Has anyone ever experienced this after resealing a tank? Could it be leaking very slowly? I can't feel any wetness around the tank so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is nothing.

Also, I won't shop at Fish R Us or any store that sells baby turtles, I love you cichlids, and dyed fish.   That and they have really bad service.  They sold 3 tanks and tons of fish to somone I met without even explaining the nitrogen cycle to them... 3k bucks worth of fish and equipment and alot of her fish died of ammonia poisoning..  All they told her was "do another water change"  and they have no return policy

Ultimate fish is nice though.

If i'm going into town to go fish shop hopping is there anything around village tropical that I should visit?
                        n

Comment

I'd be worried about a leak. Last week I accidently overflowed my qt tank a little bit, and now its got the same as you're seeing under it...

Ellen

Comment

You WOULD be? sounds like yours just got wet and had the same symptoms?
                            n

Comment

If that were my tank, I'd be worried that it is seeping, because I got mine wet and it looks just like that underneath... I'm not worried about my qt tank, because I know how the water got there. I'd be worried about coming home to 75 gallons of water on the floor if I were you...

Ellen

Comment

Working...
                              X