Puffers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffers!

Have you ever had a puffer? What kind? Did you like them, or were they too much work? How big did they get? How long did you have them? What happened to them, did they live to a ripe old age, did they outgrow your tanks and have to be sold? Did they thrive or did you find them hard to care for?

There were 2 GIANT puffers in the aquarium behind the front desk of the Mirage when we went to Vegas this past December, and Allen and I both really liked them, they have such adorable faces! So far, that's my only experience with puffers.  

Ellen
    Yes - Freshwater
    0%
    Yes - Brackish
    0%
    Yes - Salt
    0%
    No
    0%
    No but considering getting one
    0%

Re: Puffers!

had a green spotted one when i was younger or was it green with black spots..... whichever i had one but it got eaten by an oscar and then the oscar died.

one tank had a problem and poor judgment became the death of both of them.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Only one response? I thought that more people would be interested in talking about their puffers.  

Ellen

Comment

Well we just got an MBU Puffer monday. So, we are still reading and learning about them. He is a cute little guy....see?

So far he's been eating thawed frozen shrimp. We got snails but I think they are too big for him right now plus 3 ghost shrimp. I can only find 2 of those. We put a frontosa in the tank with him, since they have a similar size and diet.

My husband named him Mr. Lovegrove. Not the clearest shot....camera phone.

Comment

See that's what I love. Those faces are just adorable!  :wink:

Ellen

Comment

i usto hav a verry small puffer, he ate allot of snales

but he unfortiantaly died
            <I LOVE OSCARS>

Comment

Yeah he does have a cute little face! Our lfs, Fish-r-us....the owner Jason has a HUGE mbu puffer there. I call him Zippy. He is massive! Yet he still has that cute smiley face!!

I just don't know how fast they grow. Anyone?

Comment

We've had both salt and freshwater puffers.  I have to say the SW puffers have the best personality of any fish we've owned.  We had both a dog faced puffer and a porcupine puffer and that porcupine was the sweetest thing.  Unfortunately we had to take that tank down and the fish were rehomed.  My son also had FW dwarf puffers that were really cool, but not nearly as personable.
                Karen

Comment

I had a figure 8 puffer that didnt make it through my last episode of problems. So that left me with just my green spotted puffer. He seems to be growing with no problem. I have had him for over a month. He eats like crazy. Loves his shrimp/krill. I would love to get an MBU, but I am too scared to have something happen to it and be out of pocket a lot of money. I will stick with my little guy for now.
                  Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

Comment

MBU puffers are incredible, but a full grown MBU needs 1000 gallons to be happy!!!  Fish-R-us won't tell you that. or explain the nitrogen cycle
                    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
                    n

Comment

i have a dwarf puffer i like him
                      Michael
                      Clear Lake, TX

Comment

nitrogen cycle?

Comment

Well I can't see fitting a 1000 gallon tank in this house....and he is small right now. If they grow slowly...then we have a little more time to get a larger tank.

Jason at Fish-R-Us  never gives me the runaround. He knows I am upfront and if I spot any BS i'll say something, or at least question it. He's always been a good guy with us.

I've researched as much as I can on the mbu. We keep him in very clean water, with very good filtration. He's been happy and eating and swimming all over the place.

Comment

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
                            n

Comment

I am aware of the whole cycle for a fish tank. I was curious as to why you mentioned the cycle in particular. So my question was not worded correctly, so let me try again. Does the MBU require something more than what a regular established aquarium has to offer or were you just making reference to the fact that Jason doesnt explain the cycling of a tank to customers? Good link though.

Comment

Working...
                              X