Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I found my leak

Hi guys,

I have a 75 gallon African cichlid tank.  I started noticing lime and salt scale streaks on the exterior walls a couple months ago.  When I ran my finger along it, there were a few drops worth of water at the top of the tank, but not at the bottom, hinting that there was only a trickle of water escaping, and that trickle was evaporting before reaching the bottom, leaving the lime scale.  Other streaks appeared here and there in other places in the coming weeks.  I checked thoroughly for cracks and leaking seals, but the leaks were never at the corners.  

My brother studied physics and I put him to good use.  He looked at it and explained to me how water will flow vertically in a very tight space.  My aquarium has a plastic rim around the top (as do most aquariums), and it apparently had a bad seal or no seal at all, and water seemed to get sucked up into that space and conducted over the glass wall to the exterior of the tank.  I dropped the water level for 2 days to let the crack between the glass walls and the plastic rim dry out, then applied clear caulk the exterior junction, and have had no leaks since!

Re: I think I found my leak

Yay, science!!!  
    Bacteria: the only culture some people have

Comment

Working...
    X