hi everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi everyone!

hi everybody!  I stumbled onto this website by sheer luck and I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY by your awesome community of fish keepers.  I am starting out a 55 gallon freshwater tank and really would appreciate your advice.  Never did keep a planted tank successfully before, with the exception of the backyard pond I had growing up in Vietnam as a kid - and man that was a beautiful pond with all kinds of plants, rocks, fancy guppies, mollies, angel fish, snails, even some watersnakes and so clear you can see the bottom.

anyway i am starting from scratch with nothing but the 55 gal aquarium and would like your input as to the types of plants, fish, where to buy them, etc... and if any of you have them for sell or give away please let me know as well.  i am at vhn7r at yahoo dot com

thanks. - van, midtown houston.
    100 gallon - Malawi
    75 gallon - Angelfish & plants

Re: hi everyone!

Welcome!  

Ellen

Comment

Welcome to the site from a fellow vietnamese! Lots of people here who know there stuff hopefully they will be along to help you out.!
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Welcome to HFB!! Glad you stumbled in! If you want, you can start a new thread or two dealing with some specific questions you have, or just to get some input. We'd love to help!

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Welcome from a native Houstonian.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Welcome, and good luck with the new tank.

max

Comment

Welcome! I have a fairly new 55g and I have a peaceful community tank - Danios, tetras, clown loaches, zebra loaches, cherry barbs, plecos and a couple shrimp. My favorite place to go is Village tropical on Sheperd by 59. They have great stock of fish and plants.

The people around here are very helpful and probably can help you out to begin with. I was scared of a planted tank, until Mzungu guided me and now I have a 60% real plants and 40% plastic plants. The real plants are doing so well that I will be taking out more of the plastics as I go along.

One of these days I will get some photos in the gallery, but just got back from vacation, so . . .  

If you are midtown houston, then you can't be too far from me. I'll help however I can.

Comment

Hi, Welcome to the Box! I'm glad you found us. You can find a good selection of plants at Village Tropical. They are relatively close to you.

Comment

Hmmm... water snakes...

My wife's Vietnamese ... so I guess that makes me Vietnamese by marriage.  How long ago did you come here?  A co-worker of mine has some scary stories of the '73 evacuation and my wife remembers vividly her three weeks on a boat and subsequent year in a camp waiting to enter the US as a 7 year old in 1980.

Me ... I'm just a transplant from Hawaii ... never understood why people keep reef tanks when all you had to do was go snorkling back home.

Logan5
                  There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Welcome vanimal!
                    You might want to take a short drive up to Huffman this Saturday for the LAH Swap-n-Sell. There are always plenty of plants, fish, and good conversation!

Jerry
                    75gal heavy planted tank
                    pea gravel on soil substrate
                    DIY CO2
                    3 zebra botias, 9 glowlights, 2 yoyo loachs, wild guppies

55gal planted
                    same substrate
                    DIY CO2
                    1 gold, 1 zebra, 4 koi, 2 dark zebra angels, ghost & amano shrimp

Comment

Thanks for all your input!  I will pay a visit to Village Tropical to see what they have to offer.  Unfortunately the Saturday trip to Huffman won't happen for me this weekend...I got to work then.  But I will have to try and make it to some events soon.  Definitely love to see aquarium and fish on display.

Yeah I'm from Vietnam originally, spent the last 13 years in Virginia, and have been in Houston only for 2 months.  Thanks for making me feel so welcomed.  I hope to eventually contribute to this wonderful fishkeeping community.

Van
                      100 gallon - Malawi
                      75 gallon - Angelfish & plants

Comment

Working...
                      X