recommend flake food for small fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommend flake food for small fish?

For those of you who keep small fish, what do you recommend for fish food? I'm looking for a good flake food that fish will gobble up quickly.  Recently my fish haven't been as receptive to the usual flakes and occasional pellets I feed them.  They'll just kind of lightly pick at them when I sprinkle them into the tank.

This is mainly for my two guppies and a cherry barb, but I'll probably feed it to some assorted tetras in another tank.

Bigger flakes are fine.  I can always make them smaller myself, but large pellet type foods probably won't work.

So what are your recommendations?

Re: recommend flake food for small fish?

For my threadfins I used a garlic smasher thingy and made a little mix of tetracolor flakes, new life spectrum cichlid formula and ther+A, freezedried krill and nls h2o tablets. Crushed till its just particles and feed it to them.

All the fish go crazy over it!  

The tank has.....

Threadfin rainbows(which have a bigger mouth than throat)
    Red guppies
    Hifin banded shark
    2 bn plecos
    Tiger/clown? Pleco
    Whiptail pleco
    Red delta plakat

You could also try that micro pellets stuf by hikari I believe, don't know how the fish like it but it has a picture of a guppy on it.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

hikari has always made decent if not great foods. have had a lot of success with them ilove there bottom waffers as opposed to huge pellets. but i really realyl like omega one products. just look at the ingredient list its almost all whole shrimp and whole salmon. good stuff. so i like that food and my fish seem mighty happy with it.
      Never fear I is here
      David Abeles
      Vice President
      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

KENS PREMIUM GUPPY FLAKE:  

THIS IS A 5 COLOR MIXTURE THAT IS SPECIALLY BLENDED TO PROVIDE YOUR PRIZE GUPPIES WITH THE GROWTH, HEALTH, AND COLOR THAT THEY NEED.THIS WILL INCREASE SPAWNING LEVELS IN YOUR FISH!

INGREDIENTS:HYDROLIZED FISH PROTEIN, MENHADEN FISH MEAL,TORULA YEAST,HI GLUTEN FLOUR,SOY FLOUR,FROZEN OR DRIED BRINE-SHRIMP,PLANKTON,SHRIMP KRILL POWDER MIX,KELP MEAL,FISH OIL,SOY OIL,LECITHIN,DRIED SPIRULINA,SOY CONCENTRATE,FRESH PULVERIZED EARTHWORMS,VITAMIN PRE. PACK,VITAMINS A,D-3,B-1,B-12,CHOLINE HCL,BIOTIN,EXTRA STABILIZED VITAMIN C,METHIONINE.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: CRUDE PROTEIN 45.0% MIN., CRUDE FAT 4.1% MIN., CRUDE FIBER 4.2% MAX., MOISTURE 8.2% MAX. NO PRESERVATIVES.SOME SYNTHETIC COLORING.

1 LB $7.50

Home of quality tropical fish food and pet supplies.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

You might want to try Mike Reeds line of foods. He's a former editor of TFH magazine and has his own line of foods. I've used them for many years and while they are a little pricey they're the best commercial food I've ever found.  Also, if anyone is breeding, his NoBS fry food is fantastic - alot better than brine shrimp and cheaper. His web site is mreed.com - and no I don't get a commission!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiapan";p="
            hikari has always made decent if not great foods. have had a lot of success with them ilove there bottom waffers as opposed to huge pellets. but i really realyl like omega one products. just look at the ingredient list its almost all whole shrimp and whole salmon. good stuff. so i like that food and my fish seem mighty happy with it.
            I feed my shrimp hikari algae wafers and my bettas hikari betta pellets.  Both seem to have good results :)

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
              For my threadfins I used a garlic smasher thingy and made a little mix of tetracolor flakes, new life spectrum cichlid formula and ther+A, freezedried krill and nls h2o tablets. Crushed till its just particles and feed it to them.

All the fish go crazy over it!  

The tank has.....

Threadfin rainbows(which have a bigger mouth than throat)
              Red guppies
              Hifin banded shark
              2 bn plecos
              Tiger/clown? Pleco
              Whiptail pleco
              Red delta plakat

You could also try that micro pellets stuf by hikari I believe, don't know how the fish like it but it has a picture of a guppy on it.
              I ended up buying some tetracolor flakes.   I noticed my fish just really like the red flakes.  Maybe I'm crazy , but I noticed this trend a lot in the past.

Comment

yeah i noticed that too, but with my rams they like the darker colors like brown.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                X