guppys attacking neons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guppys attacking neons

i have a 10 gallon tank with 2 guppys and 5 neons and my guppys have been sort of bitting at 2 of my neons , and now they dont look so good is it because they were already in bad shape or is there somthing im doing wrong?

Re: guppys attacking neons

Probably take the guppies out for awhlie and then reintroduce them later? Usully works for cichlids but I don't know about community fish.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

im gona try that just to see if it works how long should i take them out?, and im not sure because the neons were there first

Comment

Kinda sucks then, probably a day or so but if the neons were there first then it defeats the purpose somewhat. Is the tank bare? Feeding them enough?

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along and chime in. I recently got some guppies and didn't have much problem with them and my threadfin rainbows.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I would say take them out.  I  never really thought of guppies as aggressive nippers until I started keeping a few.  A few of the males would chase and nip constantly at others, sending them hiding.  I ended up just giving them away and keeping the more docile ones.

Comment

Just thought about it but do you have females in there? It would take their mind off the neons most likely. I have one male with 5 females and he doesn't bother anything but the ladies.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Remove injured fish and place them in quarantine tank while they heal.
              In their weakened state they are more succeptable to diseases / infections / pasrsites that may be in the comunity tank.  Also the quaranteen tank should be smaller and take less medication to treat the wounds.

Yes male guppies are aggressive.  They want to mate with everything. Add more females to keep them busy or something that will chase them.

Keep the neons in with something smaller - endlers, white clouds, etc
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

When you say they were "already in bad shape," what do you mean? Do their fins appear to be nipped at, or is it something else? How long have both groups been in the tank? Sorry for all the questions, just want to understand a bit more.    And welcome to HFB!!!
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Well Guppys is not a very good tank mat for Neons and you should get at least 10 Neons in the tank. Thay are Schooling fish and do better in at least 10 or more. Guppys like salt in there watter and Neons do not.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                  X