MOUTH BROODER VIDEO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOUTH BROODER VIDEO

For those of you who have never seen a mouth brooder with her fry, her is a short clip I took of a Red Empress with her newly released fry. The resolution isn't the best as she remained at the back of the tank the whole time, and the sound level is a bit high as this tank is almost directly in front of the blower, but you can still see the unusual behavior. If you watch closely you can see her taking the fry into her mouth and expelling them, repeatedly.
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Re: MOUTH BROODER VIDEO

WOW! Awesome, thanks for sharing!! Interesting how the fry seem to stay in the vicinity of her mouth, following her around. Really cool, thanks.  :)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Yeah, thanks for sharing that Scott! I've only seen them hiding after the female spits. Or after I get them out of her myself and put them in a separate tank.

Comment

very cool video thanks for sharing it
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President
        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I've never seen that before, thanks for sharing! I love how they want back in, they follow her around trying to get into her mouth. :)

Really cool video!
          Ellen

Comment

That is a great video Scott. Why do they want to go in so bad? Food? Heat? Security? Other?

max

Comment

That's what I was wondering, Max! I'm leaning toward food and security. I remember seeing convicts take food into their mouths, "chew" it up, and spit it out into the cloud of fry -- is it similar with the mouthbrooders? How old are the fry, Scott?
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

The fry had been released in the morning, with the video being shot in late afternoon, and were intent on returning home, hehe. For the fry the reasons for wanting back in are mostly the security, thats all they know up to that point. After a couple days they pretty much ignore mom and wander off in search of food.
                Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Working...
                X