Now what? Auction yesterday, spawn today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now what? Auction yesterday, spawn today

Okay guys/gals, I went to the Betta auction yesterday and today I have my first spawn  8O .
    Now what     From what I've researched the fry, if they survive, will not need to be fed for several days, which is a good thing since I won't be back till Thursday evening.

Since I won't be here to start a batch of BBS what would you suggest.  I surely can't start a batch in my hotel room to bring home with me, but maybe I could?

What is better, BBS or microworms?  Should I get a starter culture on Aquabid and hope it's here when I get home.

(Yes, it's the blue crowntails)
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Re: Now what? Auction yesterday, spawn today

Freakin cool!

I tried to make it but couldn't. Post pics! I have some vids of my crowns when they spawned and its freakin awesome.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

This is not my are of expertise. If I remember right BBS are too big initially. I know they eat microworms and vinegar eels.

max

Comment

Humm, what I found on vinegar eels it looks like it takes about a month to culture.  But, I found some on Aquabid, supposedly ready to feed to fry.  I'm a little skeptical, could this be a solution with BIN and priority shipping?

Comment

The eggs will incubate in their bubble nest for a while and then hatch.
          the fry will fall out of the nest and pappa will gather them up and put them back in the nest. (Take the female out if you haven't already).
          When the fry can make it back up to the nest without papa's help it's time to remove the male.
          They can live off the egg sack for a couple of days but most of them will not be able to eat BBS for 10 days, so you need some microworms, vinegar eels or infusoria to feed them for a week.  I have just started cultures of all 3 and if you want to make the drive to Texas City I can give you starters.

If you start an infusoria culture now you should have a food supply in 3 days.   If you are going to be out of town for more than two days you need to start a drip feed (one drop per minute) while you are gone.

Also you need to keep the tank covered and start a small used sponge filter on slow to help cycle the tank.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Thanks, I will be back in town Thursday evening.  Would Friday be okay to come get the starters?  I know I will have more questions by then.  I did take the female out when they were finished and he started chasing her away from the nest.  Being out of town shouldn't be a problem.  My assistant fish keeper lives across the street and he'll be here to take care of the feedings if I'm not.  I have a sponge filter already going in a little 5 gallon.  They are currently in one of those 7 quart plastic tubs with the flip tops.  Would it be better to just move them to the 5 gallon when I take the male out?

Comment

I would leave them in the security of the bubble nest for the first week.
              They will cling to the surface at the sides of the tank for a while and then scatter to the 4 winds.  So I would carefully transfer everything from the 1st container to the second about the time you start feeding BBS
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Okay, back in town now.  When I left early Tuesday morning all was fine.  The male was tending to the eggs and bubble nest.  Today when I returned, the bubble nest was basically gone and I don't see any fry.  I know they spawned as I saw the male picking up the eggs and putting them in the nest.  There has been no activity here so I  know no one messed with the container.  What could have happened?  I know it got fairly cool here at night, so maybe the temperature dropped to low in the house?

At least I will be better prepared for the next time by having all the necessary food, etc. already here.

Comment

Once the fry hatch, they want to scatter to the 4 corners of the tank and Papa wants to keep them in the nest.  So like teenagers eather the fry escape or they drive Papa crazy and eats them all

Actually there are usually survivors in the tank they are very small and almost clear and very hard to see.  Usually you will find them within 3/8" of the surface at the glass or hiding in the floating plants / debree.

Remove Papa and feed infusoria for a couple of weeks and check again.

Comment

That's kinda what I thought so I didn't do anything radical, like dump the container.  The vinegar eels and mircoworms did arrive and I've started feeding my visually empty container.  I still can't see any signs of life, but the container is opaque making it even harder to see if anything is moving around in there.  I'm going to follow my plan to move the contents, whatever it may be to a ten gallon today.

Comment

Working...
                    X