35 Gallon Hex Before and After

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 Gallon Hex Before and After

Thanks to Walter I found a great deal on a 35 gallon hex a few weeks ago.  It was in pretty sad shape.  I have no idea how long it had been sitting idle in a garage.  The stand was in pitiful condition and part of the top cover had apparently been broken and replaced with a warped piece of wood. As my other stands are dark cherry I stained the hex stand the same color, had a replacement piece of glass cut for the whopping price of $5 and resealed some of the exterior seams that were loosing some of their silicone.  It's only been set up since last weekend and I was really surprised to see that one of my, I think it's a crypt, has sent out a long bloom while I was out of town.  I have a really nice piece of wood that I had intended to attach plants to and add to the decor, but I've already gotten used to the open spaces and the look of just the plants and fish so it may have to be used in my next tank  :mrgreen:
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Re: 35 Gallon Hex Before and After

Wow, that's quite a difference! It looks great!

Ellen

Comment

Good job szid! You can come to my house and refinish anything you want - plenty of things to choose from!

Comment

:clap:  Great job! I love the finish!! And did you get a new light fixture? Also, can't wait to see what the bloom does! That's exciting!
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

It came with two light fixtures, one in black and one in woodgrain.  One didn't have a bulb, one did.  Since I had two, I figured I'd use them both.  I put the black one in front because the frame of the tank is black and it just looked better.  I may get a compact flourescent for it, but I'm going to wait and see how it does with just standard flourscent.  I have one of those small Red Sea CO2 reactors ordered.  Thought I'd give it a try since it's a fairly small tank.  I'm still struggling with plants.  Most of the plants I already had, except the big sword, I found it at Houston Aquatics.  I don't think the bloom will really do anything is a captive environment, but at least I know I can get them to bloom.

Comment

Wow!  Looks great!  Well worth the effort it took to make it look better! :clap:
            Here fishy fishy!

Comment

You done a real nice job with that tank.
              Be careful with those plants. Causewith your wet green thumb you will have more pants then water in that tank.

It want belong now & you will have a tank in every room.
              Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
              Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
              Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

hey what did u use for substrate on this tank, is it eco complete?
                Never fear I is here
                David Abeles
                Vice President
                Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

It's just plain old black sand, well, black ColorQuartz to be exact.  I did put some plant tabs I had around the sword.  I haven't really gotten into the whole plant thing yet.  Maybe the next tank I'll try some of the real substrate for plants.  I did get a used tank that had some type substrate with florite, but it was mixed in with small gravel.    I think I still have it here somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X