cracked glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracked glass

Bwaahhhh!!!!  We bought a 54 gal. bowfront a while back (used).  Everything passed inspection so we brought it home and stored it in our garage until we had a stand custom made.  (never should have put in garage!)  Anyway, we hauled it into the house and low and behold there was a nice #$*&@  8" crack in the bottom of it.   :evil:   I went out and bought another (new) tank, as we had so been looking forward to a new setup.  Question is:   What do I do with a cracked tank??  Is the landfill the only option?  I just hate throwing something away if it is salvagable......especially if it deals with fish.
    Here fishy fishy!

Re: cracked glass

Maybe it could be used for a reptile habitat?  In my neighborhood if you put something out for heavy trash and it's usable in any fashion, it disappears within hours.
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

You should post it on craigslist.org as a reptile habitat.

Comment

You can use silicone to glue another piece of glass over the crack.
        Try to cover at least an inch on each side of the crack.   After you fill it with gravel, noone can see the patch.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

hmmm... hadn't thought of that. Have you done that before?

Comment

With another piece of glass glued on, I'd still be worried about the crack getting larger...especially if you fill the tank with gravel and water...

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I have 3 or 4  grow out tanks (10g) that were discarded because of cracks in the end or back - I just covered the crack with lots of silicone and use them as normal.    Also have a couple of 40g with overflow holes drilled in the back that now have 4" tile squares glued over the holes.

P.S. I've never seen a half a crack in an aqquarium glass.  Seems like all I've seen go from edge to edge, so I never worryed about them getting bigger.
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Thanks for the tips.....Looks as if it may have a future after all.  I am not going to try for the patch job.  The crack starts in a corner and is snaking its way towards the center.  As I use a lot of rock, I would not trust it.  My mother in law does have a birthday coming up.   Hmmmmmm :idea:   :!:
                Here fishy fishy!

Comment

The tiled approach does work, however I would recommend far more than a 1" overlap. I have a 75 gallon tank that I dropped, which sent a nice long clean break in the back panel all the way from top to bottom. I took a square piece of glass which was the same height as the tank and siliconed it over the break. This tank has been functioning as my sump for over a year now with no leaks. I should add that I run the sump at 80% capacity. While it is deffinately ugly to look at, for a sump or any other application where you can hide the patch, and most importantly, have a solid, stable base, the patch will be fine.
                  Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

LOL about the bday! That's just mean!

I would do like others said and try to get at least some money out of it selling it as a reptile cage.

Ellen

Comment

I have a 50 maybe 60 gallon Hexagon tank, which I had a one of my big Midas male (8-10") and a Red Devil female (6-7"). Well, my Midas whose name is King, hit the front panel of the tank and put a crack from the lower right corner of the glass to maybe about 3-4" from the top left corner.
                              ***Footnote to those wondering: HELL YEAH!!! I was mad at 4 in the AM when I'm trying to get my last lil' bit of sleep before I HAVE to get up to be at work on time for 8am  :furious:   But instead I was trying to catch and mop water , move furniture   , wake my girlfriend up (who was sleeping ever so graceful might I add) which I wasn't successful at  :bshelp: , and figure out which one of my other tank could I put these "bad-*** kids"  :badsmiley:  in w/o causing WWIII   :axe: and having to bury dead fish  :sniff: when I get home!!!***

I know they're kids in the audience, but that's the jist of the story. But the moral is, I "siliconed" the crack (maybe about 3-5 layers total, roughly one every few day over the course of about 2 wks.), and smoothed only the first or second layer the best I could. And the tank works great...been up and running for several months now. But I don't learn my lesson though...got about 75-100 juvenile Midas and Red Devils (from diff. parental pairs) in there. Now ya'll are thinkin' 1 of 2 things:  :crazy:  or  :hang:

Comment

Good grief Souljaa! How in the world did you hear that? Was the tank in the bedroom? Love the animations! It's like watching a cartoon! :emtthumbs:

Sherand - for the MIL bday, just get a snake, lizard, tarantula or turtle (according to her personality) decorate the tank and Viola - a gift that just keeps on giving :devil:! Yup, you now are the proud owner of a reptile haven!

Comment

:angel:   Opted for necklace over snake....I am barely tolerated as it is due to my smart mouth!  Just hand me another beer and let me imagine when the time comes.   artyman:
                          Here fishy fishy!

Comment

Well Daisy...that's one of the tanks I have in my living room. And I had fallen asleep on the sofa. It was an instant deluge. I had kinda woke up b/c I heard what sounded like someone tapping on the window w/ a small piece of metal. This was a really strange occurrence b/c I live upstairs, and the front window is 2 stories up. So the only way to reach it is w/ a ladder   So being that I'm very much groggy and trying to figure what and where this noise is coming from  :lupe:, I sit up and look at the window. Outside of the window is a tree, but it's not close enough to be hittin' the window. BUT I'm more than half sleep, so I'm not thinkin' about that fact. So I go over to the window, and look out of it. I don't see nothing, so I turn to step back towards the sofa and what do ya know?!?!!!!! Now the window is to the left of the front door...tank to the right....sofa is on the right of the tank. As soon as I'm directly in front of the tank    I had everything from buckets to ice chest catchin' water until I had a chance to hook up my Pyhton and drain the tank.

Comment

A few years back I gave my daughter a 90g hex on a prefab wooden stand.   And one day while she was a work, her Husband showed up with a bunch of fish in a 8qt SS pot.

Seems he wanted to replace the carpet and rather than take down the tank he tried to pull the carpet out from under the stand  like the plates on the table cloth trick....   UNSUCCESSFULLY   :bswithstupid:

Comment

Working...
                              X