Should I add an air stone to one side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I add an air stone to one side

When I cleaned out my tank yesterday I noticed that the right side of the tank had much more debris in the gravel than the left side. It is a 55g, 48" across. I have an external power filter that is supposed to be capable of supporting up to a 70g tank on the left side, and I can see the top of the water moving slightly on the right side.

It is not that I only feed them on one side or the other, either. Would it help if I got an airstone, or one of the aerating ornaments for the right side?  Or should I move the filter to the middle of the tank?

Now I will say that I have this big root decoration on that side that the clown loaches live in and under. It is a favorite hiding place for just about all of the fishie boys.

Another thing that makes me wonder is that the plants that are on that side are leggy - growing well but not many leaves on them. On the other side they are nice and dense. Specifically I am talking about anacharis and ludwigia.

I really need to post some photos for y'all to see the tank - well soon maybe!

Re: Should I add an air stone to one side

I've seen some people use a power head placed in the gravel on one end of their tank in such a way that it circulates the water.  

Just a thought.

Raul
    Raul
    PokerFace

Comment

I don't think that an air stone would alter the lateral circulation as much as it would the vertical circulation patterns in your tank.  Moving your filter toward the middle might result in a more even distribution but some people actually prefer more localized deposits because then they know where to concentrate their cleaning efforts.  Do you use a feeding ring?  If you place a feeding ring on the left it might prevent some of the accumulation on the right side.

Comment

Dont know much, but my setup has worked great. Even before I killed my bio filter when changing from gravel to sand. I have one air disc on the left side, one air stone on the right side, a powerhead on both sides, and my filter pick up and return is on the left side with fake plants around it. Everything seems to work great, with exception to the sand that keeps getting thrown around from the fish. Wish I would have not went with sand now. Dont know if this will help any, but works great for me. Oh the powerheads are both on the back wall and are pointed toward the center. I have a 72 bow which is 48" across.
        Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

Comment

I am somehwat ignorant about pumps vs external filters, vs powerheads. I just happened to have a little air pump and I though that it might have some use.

I do not use a feeding ring - as a matter of fact I don't even know what one is. If I put one on the left side then would that help? (remember the debris is on the left.)

I don't know what an air disc is either. And do powerheads have to have underground filters? I don't have one of those either.

Bottom line - am I on track in trying to get the water circulating more towards the right or not?  :?

Comment

Could you tell what kind of debris it was? Fish food, poop, plant leaves, etc.?
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I'm thinking it was poop, and some plant debris, but I'm not so experienced that I can tell. I'll just say that there was a of of it and it was a tan color..

Before I did the tank I did swish all the plants and the dust that was on them DID float off. If you go back and look at that post and the pictures of the anacharis that is mostly what it looked like.

Comment

i have a pleco that poops in one corner of the tank so it kinda builds up there. i like it actually cause all i have to do is siphon that one area
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Haha, yeah, plecos can be poop machines, but at the risk of sounding gross, at least their poop is easily siphoned up!!

Well, I'm glad the stuff on the plants floated off, that's good...one less thing to worry about! And JLawson had a good point, it depends a lot on your preference of maintenance methods. But I don't see any problem if you want to just move the filter more toward the middle...

Comment

Does the extra circulation help the plants?

MB - remember this is the side that is closest to the window. I keep the blinds closed, but do you think that makes a difference??

Comment

The more circulation might help to keep the debris from settling on the plants. Some plants like more circulation than others, but I'm pretty sure the ones you have will be fine with anything. Some of the more sensitive ones can't handle debris settling on them, especially the ones with the finer leaves.

About the window - I can't remember if you've put on a background since I've seen it? I thought I remembered you talking about it once.... :think:

Comment

No background. With our Peggy I'm afraid it would look so hairy by the time I got it on there. I remember Ellen saying that was a problem and I have way more hair floating around with the 3 cats and the shed bucket Peggy! Anyway there is only about 8" in front of the window.

Is the red ludwigia a more delicate plant or not? It sure is growing like mad.

Comment

A feeding ring is just a floating ring of plastic and/or foam that is used when feeding floating foods.  It prevents the food from floating all around the tank and falling in places where the fish don't see it.  It doesn't take very long for the fish to get the idea... when you approach the tank they all head for the ring expecting food!  Anyway, I just thought that if your gunk was food piling up then this might help.

Comment

The Red Ludwigia shouldn't be that delicate, I'm glad it's doing well!

About the background - do you mean the kind that's sticky and attaches to the tank? I'm a bit confused about the hair comments...maybe because the only backgrounds I have currently are just plain laminated ones...no stickiness.  :)

Comment

Well, Duh to both of you! I feel pretty dense right now.

I have not seen a feeding ring - that is a really great idea. I need to check that out. It would probably help a lot.

MB - Ellen had posted about some Oceanvisions background that sticks to the back of the tank, and how she had little white hairs - not too noticeable. I didn't realize that I could get the laminate so large. How does that stick?

Now that I think of it I used to have an iguana and he had a laminate background. I think I just taped it on - not sure.

DUH! Some days I just don't think!  :doh:

Comment

Working...
                              X