Fish Room Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Room Questions

I'm renting a house that has a garage attached with interior walls on two sides (back and right sides). Because I'm renting, I can't just go crazy and do anything.   I have a tiny volume compared to some of you guys. I will have 2 55's, a 20H, and a 10 to start out with (in the garage - also have the 46bf inside.)

I'm going to get my dad or my uncle to help me build some stands (by help me I mean I buy the materials and then bring them water while they work  :wink:  ) I plan on building a sturdy case/bookshelf/cabinet thing a foot or two taller than the aquariums will be, so I can have some fishy storage (right now its all crammed in the guest room closet) and also so that I can put a water storage container on top. Then I can use my python to suck water out and use gravity to feed water back in. How much higher should it be? Is one foot going to be enough?

Here's a list of my concerns:

1. I've read about the car exhaust causing problems. Okay, so if we pull into the garage and immediately shut off the cars and leave the door open for a minute, is that going to be ok? Do we just need to make sure the garage door is open when we start the cars? The tanks are going to be up in the front of the garage (until they multiply!    ), does that help at all?

2. My dryer vents into the garage. I've never had this before and the lint drives me crazy! I'm plan to have hoods on all the tanks, is the lint going to be a problem? I can't imagine it would be good for the fish...

3. I have concerns about mold/mildew. Do you think it'll be a problem? I'm in Central-ish TX. What can I do to keep it from becoming a problem? My parents have a dehumidifier they never use, would this be super-expensive to run all the time?

4. I'm more worried about keeping the tanks cool in the summer than warm in the winter. In fact, I'm not that worried about the winter at all, I plan on using heaters in the tanks since I have so few right now. Should I be more concerned about the winter temps? Will the temp. in the tanks get too warm for the fish? (I know I could just fill one up and watch it for a week, but there's still so many boxes in the garage at the moment.  :?  )

I appreciate any and all comments and tips. I have read about other people's fish rooms, but I don't think any of them had to deal with the restrictions you face when renting a home. EX: I can't just vent the garage like I could if I owned the house.

Thanks!
    Ellen

Re: Fish Room Questions

imo the heat is going to be a major problem.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I agree the garage is going to get real hot. The best thing to do is to move outside about mid to late April when it starts warming up and move back into the garage when it starts cooling off in the winter. Actually I start moving the fry outside in the spring  and inside in winter ( faster process ) and the old breeeders tough it out in the heat or cold until I decide what I want to do. I use shaded totes with lots of air ( sponge or box filters ) for evaporative cooling in the summer.

The car exhaust and fuel tank sounds like a problem. The dryer will heat and humidify and the dehumidifier will dry and heat. I am not concerned about the lint. The air bubling in the tanks will humidify. The garage may be too wet for the car, lol.

max

Comment

May I suggest you use concrete blocks & 4x4 beams to build your stands.  It's cheap, it's easy & and it can be changed easily to fit any new tanks
        Also you can support your shop lights, power outlets and air header from the 4x4s and leave no scars when you move out.
        Other useful easy stands & storage devices are stainless steel bakers shelves.  They are great for 5 & 10g isolation tanks and all the supplies you accumulate.

The modifications that you will find most useful will be a vent fan for the summer heat /fumes - Car exaust is CO2 - I wonder if your plants will grow better ?
        deep sink with counter space for drainage, water and cleaning  (filters to clean tap water) 55g drum for ageing water
        small refrigerator for frozen food, black worms, brine shrimp eggs and other goodies.

If you are worried about mildue,  spray a coat of enamil paint on the walls & ceiling so that you can wipe them down.
        Cars should not be a problem - mine stays out in the rain all the time.

Dryer exaust - cover with old pantyhose and replace as necessary - I hate lint all over everything.

Winter heat - I have used a cheap electric space heater and it works great but I also have one that runs on gas iin case I loose power in the winter.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

OK, if I use glass or plexi tops on the tanks, I assume that will cut down on the humidity I'm creating. Is this a bad assumption? Also, I can leave the door cracked with a fan blowing out, do you think that would cool down the garage? This morning I dreamed I put computer fans on all the tanks to help them evaporative cool. LOL I'm officially a fish nut!

Phish - That's an excellent idea! Does it really work? I'm assuming that you mean the cinder blocks with two holes stood on end with the 4x4's shoved through them. Can you go higher than one block without it being rickity?

Ellen

Comment

Yes, covering the tanks will greatly reduce the evaporation.

Blocks come in a lot of sizes and half sizes so you can be creative

I normally use the 8x8x16 & 8x8x8 blocks on alternate rows to interlock the front & back row together.   The front row of blocks being (4 blocks) 32" high and the back row (3 blocks) 24" higher
            3 - 29g tanks sideways between the blocks, a 40L on the first row & 2 - 15g or 20H on the back row.

I also ran one rack 3'L - 45g tanks between the blocks (4x4 through the holes) and 4'L - 55g on top and just used the floor space for a storage tote.

They are like duploblocks for adults - you can be very creative and change the arrangement every time you can sucker some strong help

Given the choise, I would install a thermostaticaly controled attic fan. (it would help push the hot air out of the attic also and cool the entire house)
            If you have a door from the garage to the back yard you could mount a window fan and once you don't need to open & close the garage door, you can make a panel the length of the door with fans mounted.  The other option is to have someone cut a hole in the wall and mount an A/C unit.
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

And that's what sucks about renting...you aren't given the choice! My garage door (the big rolling one) is the only door to the outside. I wish we had gotten the house with the window in the garage, that would have been ideal! Too bad it was such a funky set-up and so high-priced! I'll definately be looking at the blocks, but I'm having trouble picturing what you're describing, do you have any photos?

Ellen

Comment

Comment

Aha! Thanks for the graphic!

Ellen

Comment

I've got a dozen tanks in my garage since Feb.   I used heaters when it was cool and it worked out fine.  Now that its hot, I simply removed the heaters.  If you use HOB filters, this helps somewhat to regulate the water temperature.  So far I have had zero problems with any heat issues.  I usually leave the lights off during the day and leave on in the evening or over night when its cooler.  

I don't park the car in the garage so I don't have the problem with fumes.  

Four of my tanks do not have covers and no problems so far, but I am looking into buying some sheets of egg crate and cutting them up so they fit nicely on top.  Got the idea from Scott.  Lowes has it for around 10 bucks a sheet.  Also, if it helps you or anyone save time....its kept in the lighting area.  I had to ask a dozen people before someone had an inkling of what I was looking for.  

I've built a stand for a 4' x 5' (Est) pond in my garage and it slips right in like a glove.  I plan to use it for cichlids, just haven't made up my mind which ones yet.  I was thinking to use it for growing out fry or something to that effect.

Raul
                    Raul
                    PokerFace

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad to hear your tanks aren't overheating. Why are you putting the egg crate on the top of the tanks, to keep the fish in and other stuff out? I've used egg crate for a number of projects, its very handy material!  

Ellen

Comment

I have a 45 and a 55 in the garage, no windows and no problems.  They have been there for a over a year.  Tank heater in winter and space heater if it gets to cold, depends on garage, u just have to monitor water to temp.  In the summer I turn the heaters off and fish are fine.  One is a grow out and the other is peacocks.  Both have hob filters.  No problems

Comment

Working...
                        X