New Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rack

I spent the whole weekend building my new rack, this one will hold 39 more tanks. I was rapidly running out of space for all the fry, hopefully this will help alleviate the problem, at least until I fill them up as well, hehe. Here are a couple pictures, the rack is 6' tall and 15' long and tiered for 3 tanks. As you can see, I havent finished painting it yet.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Re: New Rack

nice work

Comment

scott that is abolutely incredable. remind me to call you when i have a place of my own so you can help me with my own racks. (lol just kidding it might never come to that or so i hope) anyway great job on your project, maybe you try different cichlids to breed now.
      Never fear I is here
      David Abeles
      Vice President
      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

That's cool man. Where are you going to put the new tanks? I can't tell from the pics where the racks are located.

Comment

The new rack is opposite the 55's that sat behind the blue tanks. Basically I am going to have to rearange the floor space in the meeting area to allow some room for club nights. I guess thats good news in a way, now I am forced to clean out the garage and toss all the worthless crap that has been accumulating. The bad news tho, I am now completely out of space for any future additions. If I decide that I just have to have more tanks I am going to need to enclose the carport and make another fish room, hehe.
          Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

and its from there that we will plot to take over the world.
            Never fear I is here
            David Abeles
            Vice President
            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Did you get plans for this rack somewhere, or did you come up with them yourself? Do you know of a good website for building your own rack system? I tried googling it but I didn't really find anything like what I had in mind... :?

Ellen

Comment

I designed all my racks myself. This is my third incarnation, with all the mistakes and lessons learned hopefully worked out. Once I get this one up and running I will go back and fix the problems on the first 2 racks. The major problems I encountered on the first two were the lack of overhead beam on the middle tier which makes it difficult to maintain the tanks. On this version I allowed much more beam, and incorporated the air, water, and lighting into the design which will reduce the space consumed by adding them as an afterthought.

Comment

wanna build me one   :wink:
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well, I went to Sunny's lastnight and cleaned him out. Unfortunately, it only took 8 tanks to accomplish this. So, now I am on the prowl for 20L's, hehe. I may have to alter the plan and use 29's on the top tier, I think Mike had enough of those to accomplish the task.. If anyone knows of a place to get 20L's for $10-$12 each, drop me a line, I still need 28 of them. As for building racks, do I smell a side buisness here?, hehe.
                    O yeah, and as a side note, like I almost forgot, I did pick up my Ikola's and some Cherry spots as well! The Tang tank is nice and full now!

Comment

i picked up two 20L from petco for $20ea.  

if you dont mind me asking what all do you breed?
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

At the moment I am breeding mainly peacocks, but also Juli's, Ahli's, a couple different types of ps., demasoni, borleyi, and am expanding into tropheus and frontosa as my colonies mature. Once I get the new rack up and fully running I will also be adding several dwarf SA species as well, apisto's and rams most likely. Basically, I try to breed what I find interesting, and can still find a market for all the excess. Since I am supplying more and more local retailers now, the need for more growout space is rapidly narrowing my choices.
                        The ultimate plan will be to reduce the total numbers of species I breed to just a few select species of the harder to find tropheus, and possibly the frontosa, tho at the moment I am undecided if I want to delegate the ammount of space that frontosa would require. For now, the fronts have a 125 in my living room alongside a 125 for the tropheus.

Comment

By the way, you are all welcome to come and see what I have done. The LHA will be meeting on Friday the 1st of Sept. at 7:00PM in my fish room, (aka the garage, or the clubhouse). Don't be bashful, this is actually a pretty decent group of people we have at each gathering,(even if we are all fish nerds, hehe). You can find more info on us in the LHA sub-forum, including directions and contact info. Who knows, you may even decide you like the idea of sitting around and telling lies like the rest of us!

Comment

Wait a minute... Those were lies?!

Comment

Only every other word, its up to you to figure out if it was odd or even, hehe.

Comment

Working...
                              X