Temp correction for EC/TDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp correction for EC/TDS

I just bought a Hanna Instruments combo tester (pH and EC/TDS) and it seems to be working just fine.  There's one thing I'm unsure of though... the temperature correction coefficient (B) for determining EC.  The meter comes preset from the factory with B set at 1.9% but it is adjustable from 0.0% to 2.4%.  I've found just one reference on the Internet saying "I would use 2-3%" but the author gives no explanation for this preference.

Do any of you have experience using these instruments?  What are the reasons one would deviate from the factory preset for B?  And my last question... does anyone know of a table or chart that shows the EC preference for particular species of fish?

The members here are great... thanks for your help!

Re: Temp correction for EC/TDS

Ok... this post was a dud!  :(

Does anyone have ANY comments or thoughts at all about the use of pH and/or conductivity meters of any brand?  Who uses them and which ones?  It seems that most folks here lean toward the African cichlids so I'm GUESSING you try to keep your tanks running around 500 uS (microSiemens).  Is that even close?  pH in the mid to upper 7's?

Comment

Sorry, I'm reading, but I just don't know. :?

Comment

Sorry, I don't have any experience with instruments like that.  I did however find some sites that may be of use to u:

Handhelds Monitors Controllers Refractometer Leak Block Sensor Accessories Handhelds Monitors Controllers Refractometer Leak Block Sensor Accessories

HTH

Comment

Thanks... I'm going to take a look at those now.  :)

Comment

I have several ph and tds meters, a couple of different brands. I have never messed with temp correction on any of them. I believe that consistancy is more important that wheter or not you are 1 or 2 percent off due to a variation in temperature. I use an ro and filtered water remix and set mine at about 6.5 ph and 120 microsiemens, have been doing it for years and works fine. I have all of my angelfish breeding pairs and prebreeders set up like that, but transistion all of my juvies to filtered city water before selling them. My prefilter consists of 20" housings, I have my first housing with a 10 micron sediment filter, the next two housings have 5 micrion carbon blocks, followed by a whole house water softner canister filled with 50 lbs of zeolite, followed by another 20" housing with another 10 micron sediment filter, the last 20' housing has a .5 micron final filter. The sediment filters do their thing well, the carbon blocks remove the chlorine from the water and the zeolite takes care on the ammonia left behind by the carbon blocks, the final .5 micron will take care of most everyting left over.
            GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Working...
            X