Nice to be here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice to be here

I am new to the Houston area so I was really excited to stumble across this web site! I recently moved in to a house which has a custom build 50 gal viewable from three sides (It's build into the end of a wall -- if that makes any sense) I have always loved fish and have had smaller aquariums in the past so I am very excited to have this opportunity to expand my love of the hoby.  Currently, I am working to prepare the tank for stocking. I have 5 small harlequin rasboras to get things going and I'm hoping to see my water chemistry stabilize around the end of the month. In the mean time, I'll be thinking about what to stock -- I'm kinda thinking about rainbows and tiger barbs -- any ideas or other suggestions?
    Bacteria: the only culture some people have

Re: Nice to be here

Welcome to Houston and the Houston Fish Box

max

Comment

It nice to have a new member on the box.

Welcome to Houston & the Box.
      Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
      Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
      Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

welcome

I could tell you what I like in a display tank, plants & big fish, but you know, aint nobody happy if Momma's not happy.

Take a tour of the Aquarium Design Group if you can.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by clw219";p="
          I am new to the Houston area so I was really excited to stumble across this web site! I recently moved in to a house which has a custom build 50 gal viewable from three sides (It's build into the end of a wall -- if that makes any sense) I have always loved fish and have had smaller aquariums in the past so I am very excited to have this opportunity to expand my love of the hoby.
          Wow, what a coincidence. I'm building a 150gal in-wall and I've been wondering lately what people buying homes would think about it. Were you looking for a home with that? Did it sway your decision to buy?

Welcome Home!

Comment

I am an angelfish fan, so guess what I would suggest.
            GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Welcome!  Whatever you decide to stock with, you'll find plenty of support from the users here.  Be sure and keep us updated on your progress.  We love pics  :wink:
              Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Welcome!

Ellen

Comment

welcome to box!

I think a large school of harlequin rasboras in a heavily planted tank would look nice. I have found many people on this site to be extremely knowledgable in their own particular niche. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've learned alot from these people.

I want to get an aquarium put into the wall, but I don't think the apartment complex would like it...
                  Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                  Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                  Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                  Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

naww arm they wouldnt notice just like they dont notice how much your floor sinks due to all the tanks in your place. anyway welcome to the box we are always happy to have new faces and old ones returning.
                    Never fear I is here
                    David Abeles
                    Vice President
                    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Originally posted by houstonfishbox";p="
                      Originally posted by clw219";p="
                      I am new to the Houston area so I was really excited to stumble across this web site! I recently moved in to a house which has a custom build 50 gal viewable from three sides (It's build into the end of a wall -- if that makes any sense) I have always loved fish and have had smaller aquariums in the past so I am very excited to have this opportunity to expand my love of the hoby.
                      Wow, what a coincidence. I'm building a 150gal in-wall and I've been wondering lately what people buying homes would think about it. Were you looking for a home with that? Did it sway your decision to buy?

Welcome Home!

The aquarium in the wall wasn't exactly something I was looking for when I was house shopping it just seemed to work out perfectly that the house I fell in love with also had the built in aquarium. I think your puting an aquiarium in the wall could go either way with potential buyers -- kind of like a swimming pool. Some people won't buy a house without one and others just don't want to deal with the extra work and liability. My personal perspective on the issue is, if you want an aquarium in your wall, go for it. Worry about the other issues when/if they arise.
                      Bacteria: the only culture some people have

Comment

Working...
                      X