Just Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Fish

This past weekend I stopped into a new store which was in the process of stocking their very first shipment. While not a super store, nor even a fish mavens paradise, the owners of this new shop seem to have what I consider to be the proper perspective. Let me explain. The philosophy that Cathy and Jimmy expressed to me is that a local fish store should be about the fish. They realize that as a small shop they can’t compete with the large chains on the support equipment, and have stated that they aren’t going to try. What they are going to focus on is fish, fish and yes, more fish.
    Although the store is small and will soon be extremely cramped, and the tanks are woefully undersized for the fish which I find of interest, I do believe that for those of you who find the smaller, more common species of interest, this just could be a store you might want to visit.
    From the livestock I saw, this looks like a mom and pop community tank market. The prices looked to be fair, the owners fairly knowledgeable, and above all, very friendly. For those of you in the Atascocita, Kingwood, Humble, and Huffman areas, check them out. For those of you who live farther away, I’m not sure that the selection would be worth the drive unless you just “have” to see a small operation. Unfortunately, the selection is the same as you can find at any chain store, so hardly worth the extra gas I am afraid. Who knows, this probably will change over time, as I said, this is a brand new shop with opening day being on 8/5.
    I look forward to seeing what Cathy and Jimmy do.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Re: Just Fish

I agree with Scott for the most part. When I was there on the 8th, they were setting up the "bigger" tanks in the back room. Jimmy said that was going to be for the bigger fish, and possibly some marine life.

The place is new, so it's hard to give it a good evaluation until it's up and running a few weeks at least.
    75gal heavy planted tank
    pea gravel on soil substrate
    DIY CO2
    3 zebra botias, 9 glowlights, 2 yoyo loachs, wild guppies

55gal planted
    same substrate
    DIY CO2
    1 gold, 1 zebra, 4 koi, 2 dark zebra angels, ghost & amano shrimp

Comment

I've done a good bit of business with them.  Cathy and Jimmy are great folks - friendly and very helpful.  Prices are reasonable, and they offer "trade-ins" for unwanted/overgrown fish (I'm sure this is within reason though).  Cathy has even ordered special requests for me and has checked out other wholesalers when I've wanted stuff her normal suppliers don't have.  They have a variety of used tanks for sale - great for those of us with severe MTS (picked up a 29g last nite from them).  I think they plan (in due time) to have more unique items than the standard Walmart/Petco/smart fare.  I'm sure they'll keep some standards, after all what's a fish store without a fancy guppy tank??  My best experience was when I bought a saltwater tank from someone and didn't want the stock that came with it - we worked a deal we were both content with.  Much better than me killing the rock - would have been so wasteful.  They've had some rough turns of events lately that would have caused weaker folks to give up, but they're determined to be a success - and I think they've got the right outlook to do it.
      The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
      Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

It's nice to see another person living in our area. You need to come to the next LHA meeting and meet everyone else in the neighborhood.
        Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Matter of fact it was Cathy that told me there was a good "fish group" in the Huffman area back when I first visited Just Fish.  Looks like I just missed the 11/18 event.  I'll have to try and remember to hit the next one.
          The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
          Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Working...
          X