Mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mix

I am wanting to try something. I would like your thoughts on it. I am interested in adding an eel, some ghost shrimp, and a blue lobster or two to my cichlid tank. Think this is a bad idea? I am sort of wanting a little variety to add to the tank.
    Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

Re: Mix

Sounds like a good variety...

Of the food chain. Seriously it sounds like they will end up eating each other eventually. Unless the eel is really small, lobster is actually a lobster and the shrimp live in a refugium.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Is this for the same tank that you're having so many problems with right now? If so, yes its a bad idea. You really should just wait out your cycle.

If you want to add variety, imo you need to rid yourself of a few fish you already own first. With the 8" fish, crawfish, and eels, not to mention the regular old little cichlids, the shrimp will be lunch.

Ellen

Comment

yea thats a realy bad choice....even if the eel is not verry small, the cichlids will beat on it untill it is eather gone or dead

Comment

and when the lobster is not hiding he will be picking on your nice cichlids at night. most crawfish (its not a real lobster) need to be housed in a species only tank, even then they tend to pick on each other. some fo the dwarf ones are ok with some fish and other inverts but they are fairly predatory. and of course everything in the water loves shrimp.
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President
          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Of course you can put ghost shrimp in with cichlids.   I put a dozen in with mine every week  
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Thanks, this is what I needed to know. The tank is almost finished cycling. I am not adding anything until all is at 0 and I can get a few of these fish out. Again I am trying to get rid of the jack and my pleco. Anyone have anything interested in trading, let me know. Until then, nothing is being added to the tank. I have added shrimp in the past, and will continue to do so. Just wanted to add the blue lobster (crawfish) and eel to make it different. Thanks.
              Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

Comment

Working...
              X