Water change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water change

Well it looks like my tank is pretty much getting back to normal after all my problems. I did a test of the water today and it looks like i am down to .25 ammonia and nitrite, 40-80 nitrate, and 7.9 pH. I know that ammonia and nitrite are both toxic, but is this amount really anything to worry about. Also, after all my problems I had with my bio filter and so forth, should I go ahead and do a water change or should I wait until the ammonia and nitrite get to 0. I really dont want to lose the bio filter again.
    Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

Re: Water change

Is the tank occupied?

I'm no pro at this, but I dont think a small water change would hurt.

Comment

i would say go for it.

all of them is still high but at least you got it. if there are no fish in there and no plans on them anytime soon i would leave it at is to work itself down. if there are fish in there maybe add some aquarium salt and change like 10-25%
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yup, what they said.  :)  But also, yes, any detectable amount of ammonia or nitrite is something to worry about. So, small changes are the way to go. If you keep them small, like others said, it shouldn't effect your biofilter too badly. When it comes to cycling with fish, I tend to think that the inhabitants' well being is more important than the speed of the cycle.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

yea the tank is occupied and I have used ammo lock, so the ammonia shouldnt be toxic. I will do a small water change tomorrow when I get home, but so far all the fish seem to be active and in good standing. They are not swimming at the surface, except during feeding. I just want to clean some of the substrate to keep from building more toxins. This has been a slow process. Oh and i have been adding a little over the course of the last week. The worst part of it all was losing some of my fish. I lost 4 really awesome colored fish. Well, lesson learned.

Comment

Partial water changes of up to 30% do not substantially affect the cycling time and dilute the harmful chemicals, at least temporarily
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

another vote for you to do a water change. it is the safer bet. frequent small water changes are definately a good bet for just about any tank.
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President
              Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I usually do one a week but being since I have done several in a week, I didnt want to throw anything off. Everything looks to be getting better and I dont want to make it worse again.

Comment

I agree with the water changes. The higher your pH, the more toxic ammonia becomes for your fish. Ammonia at .25 ppm in a tank with a pH of 7.9 is more harmful for your fish than ammonia at .25 ppm in a tank with a pH of 6.5.

Also, your nitrates are pretty high, another reason for a water change. Is this tank over-stocked? Nitrates aren't toxic until they reach the higher levels, but nobody's really done much research on the long-term effects of keeping fish in water with high nitrate (over 50 ppm).

I wouldn't feed very much while this tank is (re)cycling, that only adds more ammonia to the problem. I would cut the feeding to once a day or even every other day. Fish really don't need that much food, and it will keep from adding even more waste into a system that can't handle it right now. When your tank cycles, you can slowly start feeding them more.

Ellen

Comment

I have been feeding once a day, normal feeding as before. So I guess I should cut this down a little. The tank really, in my mind, isnt that crowded. I guess I really still dont know what is a good number of fish for a 72 bow. I have 2 fronts 1.5", 2 labs 2", 2 giraffe 2", 2 red zebra 3-3.5", 2 socolofi 4", 1 jack dempsey 8", 1 pleco 10", 2 puffers 2-2.5", 1 clown loach 2", 1 german red 4", and about 5 basic unknown cichlids 1.5-2". Normally my nitrates are anywhere from 40-80 ppm. Hard to tell sometimes if it is 80 or less. I dont know what to do to get that down.

Comment

40's still pretty high up there, you probably want to aim for less than 20 with the nitrates. And, maybe someone can help me out on this, but it sounds like the tank will be overcrowded pretty soon, if not already. A few of those fish will get much larger.  I think the mass of the fish should play a role here, as well. Your 8" Jack Dempsey and the 10" pleco almost take up all the tank's capacity, IMO. Anyone else have an opinion? I don't want to be totally wrong here....and I'm used to having smaller tanks, so sometimes it's hard for me to imagine.  
                      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I think its overcrowded, but everybody's opinion is different in that area. Larger amounts of fish do contribute to higher nitrates, though. Less than 20 nitrates is what I shoot for too. While your tank is cycling, though, you should pay more attention to the ammonia and nitrite, I just mentioned it because the water change will help that also.

The 10" pleco is putting the most pressure on your bio-load, and as much as I love plecos, they are poop factories. Have you considered selling him now and getting a smaller variety when your tank is cycled? Or maybe you could "lend" him to a friend until your tank is done cycling... Or not, those are just a couple of suggestions.

Ellen

Comment

I would like to sale/trade him but no one seems to want a pleco that large. I was going to get rid of the dempsey, but he seems to be pretty mellow and is a nice looking fish. I guess if someone is interested in traded or buying him, I would consider as well. I will be getting rid of the 5 basic unknown ones and scolofis within the week. I would however like to add 2 icebergs 2", 2 elec blues 2", 2 more yellow labs 2", and 4 clown loaches to the tank. Would this be too many also. I know as they get larger, I iwll have to get rid of some, but I want to try to enjoy the mixture as well as see which ones I really want to keep up until that point. Thanks all for you help. I am still learning.

Comment

Working...
                          X