X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to get rid of snails ?

I have started a brackish water tank of local plants & fish
    It lacks color but the price is right
    I have noticed that I have a big pile of mylasian trumpet snail shells in the corner of the tank
    (the snails were in the gravel when I converted the tank to local)
    So why all the empty snail shells.....
    could be they were out of water too long when I converted the tank.....
    could be they don't like the small amount of salt in a Brackish tank......
    But I believe it is the SheepsHead minows I added to the tank..... (they sure are fat)
    I have posted a picture of a Sheepshead minow in my photo gallery if you need help identifying them
    Has anyone else captured a few from the local waterways ?
    Have you got any snails left in their tank ?
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Re: need to get rid of snails ?

Do you know what the salinity is in this tank? I have a slightly brackish native tank, and the snails do really well. Actually, they seem to die on me more when the water is softer and more acidic. I don't really have an answer for your questions, but maybe if you knew the salinity you could start ruling things out?? I dunno. Also, what about other snails? Have any pond snails, or ramshorn snails? From what I've heard, fish that eat snails tend to go for those before they try to get to the MTS, whose shells are harder. But, then again, I've never had sheepshead minnows...
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I was onve told to use Coppersafe. It works. Takes awhile for them to die. Make a good water change after treatment

Comment

To kill malaysian Trumpet snails this is what has worked for me.

Use a product called Had-a-Snail and follow the directions on the bottle.  Then perform a waterchange, and add coppersafe per directions.

In a severe case, I also removed the gravel and microwaved it in a old microwave to kill all the snails, and snail larvae.

It works!
        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I have talking catfish that feast upon snails.

Stirp and spotted raphaels do great jobs cleaning up at night... but they are not brackish.
          Plecos:
          L083 (Gibby)
          L104 (Clown)
          L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
          L155 (A. Hystrix)
          L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
          LDA72 (BN)
          LDA76 (False Zebra)
          Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
          Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

Comment

Working...
            X