easy ways to lower ph to 6.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easy ways to lower ph to 6.5

need to find easy ways to lower the ph from my tap water ???
    and make it stay low ???

Re: easy ways to lower ph to 6.5

peat moss in a pair of old panty hose. there are several things you can do to lower ph, peat, co2, vinegar all work, but peat is the safest and most stable.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

i tried that peat moss... it make the water soft but the ph still stay high...my tap water is like 8.2 and it seem to stay at 8.2...and i tried vinger but it just goes right back up after a day.... i would like to use ro water but i have a big tank..210 gal  so it would be hard to get 210 ro water to my place

Comment

I had lots of trouble with vinigar making my water cloudy. Do you have anything you can age your water over night in?

I am now using muratic acid and having good luck with it. I fill a 55gal drum with water add a capful of prime and 9cc of acid and it is perfect and stable after 24hrs with an air stone. But I have a PH contoller and CO2 on my tank so I am only taking mine to 7.5 in the drum.
        Smokin_Cache
        Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
        Lets see what the imagination fruits.
        Check out my last tank

Comment

Betta Breeders swear by Almond Leaves
          they Lower pH, heal wounds, kill diseases and increase sexual prowless.
          of course, like all organic solutions, they turn the water a yellow brown.

I have had good luck with a layer of dried banana leaves in the tank or even dryed oak leaves.   I've been told the peat pots (peat in a nylon mesh bag) are a tidy substitute.

And if you don't like the yellow-brown tint, you can filter it out with a diatom filter.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I've got some muriatic acid acid you can have

that should do it

Comment

thanx you guys
              i would like to  try muriatic acid
              Where do you get it from???
              Does it keep the ph down ???
              Do i have to age the water???
              I can pull my fish out to a smaller tank to age the water ..but it's 210 gal so it will take a while huh?

Comment

You shouldn't change your PH drastically when there is fish in a tank. I always do .2 a day when i need to adjust PH.

Comment

most pool supply outfits carry Muratic Acid
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                    most pool supply outfits carry Muratic Acid
                    I bought 8 quarts of acid last year at Warehouse Pool Supply and haven't used a drop

Comment

Originally posted by Philistine";p="
                      I've got some muriatic acid acid you can have

that should do it
                      where are you at ?

Comment

I used Muratic Acid one time and it dropped the pH off the bottom of the scale
                        I suggest you add it a little bit at a time and test ..... and test

Kent makes a low range pH controller

automatic 6.0 pH buffer & stabilizer

I keep it around in case of emergencies
                        not so stable at 0 hardness but when I add
                        a little tap water or some trace elements
                        it has been right on

Comment

I use muratic acid almost daily. I buy it at a local hardware store. I usually pay $2.99 a gallon and a gallon lasts a long time. I use ro water with filtered tap water at a ratio of 75/25 and a cap full in a 100 gallon holding tank set it at just about 6.5
                          GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Originally posted by Obed";p="
                            I use muratic acid almost daily. I buy it at a local hardware store. I usually pay $2.99 a gallon and a gallon lasts a long time. I use ro water with filtered tap water at a ratio of 75/25 and a cap full in a 100 gallon holding tank set it at just about 6.5
                            does ro water have a low ph ???

Comment

RO water is 7.0ph
                              Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                              Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                              Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Working...
                              X