Out of town feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of town feeding

I am looking to go out of town for approx 3 days and I am looking to see if anyone has any advice on how to keep my fish fed. I am looking at getting an automatic feeder, however I dont know how long they go for. I also dont know if they make some type of time released food. Any ideas. Thanks.
    Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

Re: Out of town feeding

I dunno what kind of fish u have but if ur keepin cichlids, they should do fine w/o food for 3 days.  I dunno bout other fish.

Comment

Like DubC said, they should be fine for 3 days. They do make feeding blocks, but (imo) those things are garbage and they will foul up your tank. You might as well put chalk in your tank, plus the food 'released' from them can't be that great. Feed them well up until you leave and they should be fine.

Ellen

Comment

Thanks a lot. I do have cichlids, with exception to the two puffers, and I really dont plan on being gone longer than three days. Thanks a lot.
        Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

Comment

I agree, for three days you can just leave them.  I do have and use automatic feeders, but then I'm often gone for more than a couple of days.  IMO the Eheim is the best auto feeder out there.  For the most part you can use your regular dry food in the majority of feeders.  I actually keep an Eheim feeding my Africans all the time with occasional "real time" treats.   It helps keep me from overfeeding the little devils.  I have a fish assistant who takes care of my Discus when I'm gone as I prefer to feed them frozen food.
          Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

The pet sitting service for my cats feeds mine

Comment

I agree that you can leave fish alone for a few days and they will be fine. Despite of this, I actually throw in a slice of zuchinni or romaine lettuce when I go on vacation or am away for a while.

What would y'all do with fry if you are gone for 3-5 days?
              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

No fry = no problems.  

Seriously though, I teach someone I trust. And then I don't leave them anything to mess up, everything that needs to be measured is measured, everything that needs to be done has instructions with minute details. They have a phone number for if something pops up.

Ellen

Comment

Thats a good idea.... now I just need to find someone that I trust who ALSO lives close to me...
                  Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless";p="
                    What would y'all do with fry if you are gone for 3-5 days?
                    Make a culture of infusoria
                    put it above the fry tank
                    run a airline tube from the infusoria to just above the fry tank
                    add a valve to the air line
                    start the syphon and adjust the valve to one drop per minute.
                    give them a day to find the all night diner and
                    use a magnifing glass to look at their fat tummies
                    adjust the valve as required
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

impressive!

Comment

That's ingenious!    I love it!

Ellen

Comment

For those of you who believe in gut loading....

add a few drops of liquid baby vitimins to the infusoria culture.

infusoria eat the vitimins

fry eat the infusoria
                          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

i long for the day when i might be able to leave town for more then a day. my busy life i never get to get out of town for long. but that sounds like a very cool idea.
                            Never fear I is here
                            David Abeles
                            Vice President
                            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
                            X