Deep Sand Bed - DSB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Sand Bed - DSB

When I had my saltwater setup, DSB's were all the rage and I had one too. It allows the anaerobic breakdown of nitrates into nitrogen(N) and oxygen(O) atoms, thereby eliminating the need for nitrate build-up water changes. Has anyone tried this with freshwater? or is there a reason it won't work with freshwater setups? If I remember correctly, you needed 4 to 6 inches of sand to ensure no oxygen(O2) gets down low enough to disrupt the process.

Re: Deep Sand Bed - DSB

I've never tried it, I think for two main reasons. The first is that I don't know of a lot of people who have done this, and I like to read up on stuff, get opinions and experiences, before I do most things to my fish tanks (substrate, equipment, etc.). The second I think is purely based on my opinions, meaning it probably doesn't really have any validity, but I'll say it anyway.  :)   Later. I just wrote for about 45 minutes, realized I STILL hadn't made a point, so I'll think about it more so I can sum it up successfully.  
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

hahaha! ok, just curious.

Comment

Well, I've been searching around a bit for info. From what I've seen so far, more people are interested in applying this to a refugium for their FW tank, rather than IN the tank. What did you do when you had your saltwater tank?
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I had it in the tank. It worked great. Always had <20 nitrate level.

Comment

Just chiming in here to see if I have the jist of this. Sounds to me like you are looking at doing something similar to what I have done in the Tang tank in my living room. Wash the sand, pour it in, and forget about it. Have had the sand in the tank for almost a year now with no souring or cleaning of the substrate. All in all, about the most worry free tank I have.
            Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Well, I was more curious than anything. I don't want to have that much sand in my tank again because it takes too much vertical space for my liking. I was just wondering why nobody does it in freshwater. Thought maybe I was missing something. I didn't know you did it. Cool.

Comment

never knew it had a name, I just did it because I figured it was about as natural a setting as I could get, and it just turned out to be easy to maintain, hehe. There is a downside tho, and that is that the sand particles can foul filter motors. You need to keep your intakes fairly high in the water column, and a prefilter wouldnt be a bad idea. Other than that tho, I really like it. The tank looks different every day, much like a river bed or lake bottom, I have new sand bars in different places every morning.
                Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

i remmember reading in an old fish book about putting a glass plane in the corner of the tank. it created a place for anerobic bacteria to breakdown nitrates and then collect the nitrogen so it would bubble up eventually. i figured it was an interesting idea (did not understand it fully back then) so this has been used before just in different ways. (it was a freshwater book) so maybe y could try the glass trick in a not so deep sand bed?
                  Never fear I is here
                  David Abeles
                  Vice President
                  Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
                  X