X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apistos

I am about to embark on a new species
    Apistogramma cacatuoides -

I know they like soft acid water, do well in a planted tank and spawn under small flower pot.........
    Any other pearls of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Re: Apistos

Those are pretty!

Ellen

Comment

im just starting to get intotaking care of cichlids and those are gonna be my first. getting them real soon.
      Never fear I is here
      David Abeles
      Vice President
      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

you need to talk to jim, or xavier they knows more about them than anyone i know...
        Resident BUM !!!

Comment

Yes, they're great to talk to! Jim has helped me more times than I can count, after I bought 2 of them from him at the June LHA swap. They're my first apistos, so I'm glad there's someone else to share observations with! And wow, just looked at the pictures, how many do you have in there?! That male is really pretty.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Those are the seller's picture off of Aqubid.

I ordered 4 pr of the Tripple Reds, they should arive Friday.

I have old water and soft water
            but I don't have old soft water

Can't decide if I should put them in 4 - 10g or a 40g long.......
            But I need to get the tank(s) assembled pronto.
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

seen those at mike's shop and thought they were absoluetly amazing looking!!!!

really want to set up a tank for some.

PhishPreek... if it were me i would go with the 40L and plant it, think these would stand out really nice with plant all around them.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well, I have herd that the dominant male will claim 4' in every direction
                so even a 40L doesn't provide space for my other 3 males.....
                I may just pick 1 male and put him and all the females in a 20L
                then add the 3 losers to my comunity tank.....

Comment

I have six Apistogramma cacatuoides (from Jim).I have learned a great deal about them recently but don't feel at all qualified to impart anything to anybody else. I did find these articles particularly informative though:

Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                  Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                  Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                  Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Hi I am Curtis I live in Alvarado 30-40 min south of Dallas/FT Worth area. I currently keep 14 dif species of apistos,4 dif species of other S.A. Dwarfs along with discus and angels. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or Email me mematrix77@aol.com. I am currently searching for Male A.mcmasterii, Female A.hongsloi,A. bitaeniata,A.steindachnerii. And of course any other apistos I don't have

Sincerely Curtis
                    24 tanks 12 dif apistos,3 other S.A.Dwarfs,3Discus, 5Angels,6 dif Killies,3 dif catfish,tetras,pencils,bettas my fish pics http://www.photobucket.com/albums/y74/mematrix/

Comment

right off, Sunny's Fish and Pets had several Male A.mcmasterii and (if I remember correctly)  A.steindachnerii. I don't know if this helps you, noting your location. The store is on the north side of Houston @ 45 and Beltway 8.
                      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Thanks ATH I appreciate the heads up. I was mostly looking for possibly a breeder who ships.

Sincerely Curtis
                        24 tanks 12 dif apistos,3 other S.A.Dwarfs,3Discus, 5Angels,6 dif Killies,3 dif catfish,tetras,pencils,bettas my fish pics http://www.photobucket.com/albums/y74/mematrix/

Comment

best bet is to look online then have seen several, because 40 bucks a pair seems real steep for two little fish. (thank goodness Sunny's isn't quite that much)
                          Never fear I is here
                          David Abeles
                          Vice President
                          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I'm sure you know about it, Curtis, but just to make sure, have you been to DallasFishBox.com? They might also be able to recommend some people/places for you.
                            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Been there done that Tiapan. I also saw the dallasfisbox site haven't looged on yet. I am hoping to get a network/in touch with local breeders I prefer the quality of local hobbyist their fish are always of better quality.

Curtis

Comment

Working...
                              X