X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get my nitrites down

please help i can't get my nitrites down and my GH is around 300

Re: how to get my nitrites down

Do you still have the goldfish in the tank? Have you added other fish yet? If not then I think you need to wait for your tank to finish cycling. Do you know the numbers for your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Until your ammonia and nitrite reach 0 for a few days, you're still cycling your tank. You're really going to have to wait this out. If you're concerned about the lives of your goldfish, then do a small water change daily, but know that small water changes will slow down your cycle. When did you first set this tank up?

Ellen

Comment

OK, if I read your other post right, your tank has been set up since the 18th. If so, you're going to have to wait awhile still before you can get the fish you want for your aquarium. It can take anywhere for 2-6 weeks for a tank to cycle, and you're about a week and a half in.

Ellen

Comment

I agree with Ellen. Waiting for the nitrite fall in the nitrogen cycle is the longest part. But from I have seen with my tank and heard you won't see it fall it will just be at 0 when you check it.
        Smokin_Cache
        Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
        Lets see what the imagination fruits.
        Check out my last tank

Comment

the tank has been set up since the 16th and the fish have been in since the 18th or 19th, yeah i talked to the LFS and they said the same think, patience patience, i think i am just in to big a hurry to see something besides the ugly goldfish!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah, but you'll be glad when you don't have to watch your pretty (and more expensive) fish die!   Waiting is hard, but in a few weeks you'll be seeing your reward!!

Ellen

Comment

Used a product called Kent Marine Ecco-start.  It cut my Nitrites from 5 ppm to 0 in less than 2 days.

I know that Tropical Fish Depot off I-45 and Almeda has it on the shelf

Best of luck!
              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I was at my lfs and saw a moss ball....the owner said it's good for nitrites....not sure how I didnt have time to ask him, and that was the first time Ive seen something like that....its a ball of green moss...I need to ask him what kind. Just a thought, I mean if it actually does work on getting nitrites down.

Comment

About the moss ball, I think I remember you talking about that on another post as well? I believe they're not actually moss, but a type of algae. However, from what I've heard they stay in the ball shape. So, they're like any other plant, in my opinion, in that they help lower nitrates. I don't know about nitrites and plants, but as far as I know, with nitrites you really just have to wait it out. If you're getting a really high reading, and/or your fish seem a bit stressed out, I'll echo Ellen that you might want to do a small water change. It shouldn't prolong your cycle by much.
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I was at my lfs and saw a moss ball
                    Being that ur from Conroe, I assume ur talkin about Fish R Us.  I asked one of the employees there about the moss balls too cuz I was thinkin of puttin one in my HOB filter haha.  I asked how fast they grow and he said they stay the same size.  Does that even make sense?

Anyway, I seem to remember reading an article stating that even tho plants uptake nitrates and nitrites, they make their proteins from ammonia.  This means that it takes more energy for a plant to use nitrate or nitrite as an energy source because it has to expend energy to convert the nitrate or nitrate to ammonia before it can even use it.  This is why plants, given the choice to use ammonia or nitrate, would rather use ammonia as an energy source cuz no effort is required to convert it into a usable form.  The article also showed tabular data indicating that plants uptook ammonia about 4 times faster than the time required to take up equal amounts of nitrate.  Hopefully someone w/ more knowledge can verify this info.

Comment

It kinda does make sense because they grow so slowly. They're also called Marimo Balls. If you provide lots of nutrients, they will grow faster, but they generally grow pretty slowly. Yes they are algae. You can find out more information about them by doing a search for "Marimo Balls". I wouldn't count on the Marimo Balls to control your nitrite. The products they sell to instantly cycle your tank may or may not help control your nitrite problems, but if you're really impatient, I would try one that is being recommended to you by the other fine folks here over a Marimo Ball.

Ellen

Comment

Yes it was Fish R Us. I too asked if they really work and one young guy there told me they do, and they do grow, but didnt say how large or how quickly.  I am going to google marimo ball Ellen...I'd like to check them out more.

Comment

Watson what are you doing tomorrow? Don't go buy any cycling products!!! I have a 90g dose of Bio Spira you can have. I have it in the fridge and I am not going to use it before it goes bad. I have tried to sell and give it away for a while now. Conroe is a little ways from Baytown, but if you are willing to drive it the stuff is yours. Costs somewhere around $30. I also have some ammonia stick tests and some 5in 1 sticks you can have. Although I don't trust there number I do trust thier zeros. And they will give you some idea of how it's going.
                          Smokin_Cache
                          Check out my last tank

Comment

Ok, let me see what our plans are this weekend...hubby works all day today but we are both off tomorrow and had planned on running around...fish store perusing and such....so if its ok, I can email you later tonight and let you know...thanks!

Comment

That sounds great! Just let me know what time yall will be over this way. I will PM you with my address so you can look it up on mapquest. I can give you directions to.
                              Smokin_Cache
                              Check out my last tank

Comment

Working...
                              X