Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

honduran red point and female convict had babies!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• honduran red point and female convict had babies!!!!

wow!!! this week is pretty exciting for me, first got me some mobas, then setting up my plant/zebra tank, now my honduran red point male mated with a convict female and later this week zebras!!!

had two pairs in there along with two brown dot peckoltia/L006 and one L015/candy stripe pleco. the two pairs consisted of two hrp males and two convict females which i put in there allowing the dominant male to choose his mate. there are three "caves" in the tank along with some rock/plant scape and shortly after putting them in the four paired off. these things are pretty much still babies as they are barely over an inch maybe close to an inch and a half so i didnt bother catching out the others thinking that it would take some time for them to mature.

but i forget, these are convicts!!

700g Mini-Monster tank

Re: honduran red point and female convict had babies!!!!

Congratulations.

Has anyone started a list of all the other types of fish that convicts will spawn with ?
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

so far i have seen....

red parrots
      firemouths
      texas cichlids
      ?think? red devils

these would have been pure hrp's but the only female i got died so i substituted it with a convict and voila!
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have 2 maybe 3 Sajica (I think I have 2 females and 1 male) ***Note to the kids in the audience: Too many fish destroys your ability to remember!!!***   I've had them for a few months, and they have produced a couple of litters. But I never made an attempt to retrieve the fry b/c I have too many fish (of various ages) already. For those that's not familar w/ Sajica, they look exactly like Convicts but take on more of a brownish color as they age. They also have more of a whitish set of lips.

Comment

I've seen convicts breed with red chromides, flowerhorns, red devils/midas, jaguars, red terrors, and blackbelt cichlids.

Comment

so i guess its official, convicts are the sluttiest fish there is.
            Never fear I is here
            David Abeles
            Vice President
            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Originally posted by Tiapan";p="
              so i guess its official, convicts are the sluttiest fish there is.

right up there with guppies
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Not really. Guppies just breed with guppies. Convicts breed with anything that swims.

Comment

true
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

man thats so funny, but hey guppies will breed with endlers as well, they try to get around. but they have that built in birth control rate (takes them a little longer to pop out those babies. plus in a head to head battle the convicts will just eat the guppies.
                    Never fear I is here
                    David Abeles
                    Vice President

Comment

Convicts ftw!

Comment

ftw? did he mean wtf?
                        Never fear I is here
                        David Abeles
                        Vice President

Comment

cleaned the convict tank yeseterday morning and found that there was another batch of eggs in their favorite pot. looks as though there are hundreds of eggs!!

the last batch disappeared about a week after the photos were taken and i dont know why. could be that it was both of their first times, me messing with them trying to scoop some fry out so my fronts can snack on them, the plecos in the tank with them or what. in the past i have had convict pairs that would breed religiously but never raise the fry past a couple of weeks. back then i had a pink female and black male and after about a year of producing babies and eating them the male ended up killing the female.

anybody think i should pull the parents out? maybe just the male/female?
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have had the male convict kill the smaller female on more than one occasion.....
                              (usually right after I moved them to a new spawn tank)
                            My best success was with a 40L and half a dozen adult convicts.    
                            I guess the male need more than one female to satisfy him.

I had a male betta that was bad about killing females.
                            I finally put 2 girls in the tank with him and every time he would chase one the other would distract him.
                            He eventually spawned with one of them and was a good daddy.
                            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                            X