dechlorinator recommendation please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dechlorinator recommendation please

Hi, I'm almost out of my dechlorinator and I'd like to try something new because I'm not convinced it does a great job. Keep in mind that my tap water has chloromines. What do you recommend?

Re: decholorinator recommendation please

i use nova aqua+
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Prime.

What are you using now?
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I use Amquel+

Ellen

Comment

Zip drops don't work for me.

I use Amquel+ dry.....
          I make up water in a 55g drum and then
          I age the water 3 or 4 days before I use it.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Re: dechlorinator recommendation please

I use prime, but I like the Nova Aqua for it's non-toxic nature. It smells better too!!

I also make my water in a 55g drum so one cap of prime is a little easier than 5 of the nova aqua.
            Smokin_Cache
            Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
            Lets see what the imagination fruits.
            Check out my last tank

Comment

I prefer AmQuel to AmQuel+ but I can't find just AmQuel in the stores very often anymore. AmQuel+ smells like you gotta find and beat the dog if you accidently spill a little of it. UGH!! Its easy to get rid of the smell, you just have to be aware when you spill a bit. (I'm clumsy, OK   )

Anyways...earlier I said I use AmQuel+ but I really do like AmQuel better, I just don't like to pay the shipping on it.

I do *not* like Prime, I've only had one experience with it, and it was probably my fault, but it was a BAD BAD experience...

Ellen

j/k about the dog, I do not advocate beating your animals

Comment

I use Kent First Step. Village uses it and sells it.

Comment

Prime is what I use, and it is what I recommend to others.

Comment

Ellen it's driving me crazy! Tell us your prime story. Please
                    Smokin_Cache
                    Check out my last tank

Comment

Ugh, I really don't want to get into all the gory details. Let me just say Dallas to College Station + $50 worth of fish, shrimp, and snails = no survivors upon pulling in the driveway...     :evil:

Comment

ouch Sorry to here that!!
                        Smokin_Cache
                        Check out my last tank

Comment

i have used a whole lot of different dechlorinators over the years, good old tap water conditioner works for chlorine and chloramines in the right doses. and its cheap. i know several people that use stress coat. i prefer Nov aqua because it seems to have everything in stress coat and it has always worked well for me, never had a break out of ick,(knock on wood) and never had fish belly up from bad water being added(as in chlorine leftover) i dont like amquel firstly because old style would make ammonia not degrading meaning it wouldnt break down normally but would become not toxic to fish, threw off ammonia tests and then it would break down very slowly later. if there is not ammonia then what will bacteria feed on (or plants for that matter) and the new style says it takes out nitrites and nitrates, well thats just not ok for my plants at all. so i stick to nov aqua besides they are made by the same company, just different styles of water conditioning.
                          Never fear I is here
                          David Abeles
                          Vice President
                          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

For more than you ever wanted to know about Kordon's products: http://www.novalek.com/kordon.htm

Ellen

Comment

You can still get regular AMQUEL in the 1 gallon jug.  You can get that from Foster and SMith and you can also get smaller bottles and the 1 gallon jug from Kens Fish. I also think AMQUEL is still availible in powder form as well.

I have used AMQUEL for over 15 years, and I swithced to AMQUEL PLUS when that product was created about 6 years ago.

AMQUEL PLUS does have an odor that is not pleaseing, but it works.

I am a firm believer that it is the best water conditioner for removing Ammonia, Chlorine, Chloramines, Nitrate, Nitrite, and organic compunds.
                              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Working...
                              X