ready for cichlids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ready for cichlids

well i did a 10% water change today, added some amquel+ and checked everything out, the 7 goldfish are doing great, not sure if the goldies ate the shrimp or they just hide really good, cus i only see 2 or 3 at a time and i had 10.  well i am gonna go by two cichlids tomorrow and see what happens from there.  all the water tested fine, it don't stink or anything.  if anybody thinks this is a bad idea or have any suggestions feel free to tell me, i am learning as i go.  i have pics on here now if anybody wants to check them out

Re: ready for cichlids

go for it

Comment

what type of cichlids are you gonna get?
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Personally, I would get rid of the goldfish. My mistake when I first started with cichlids was not planning in advance what type I want. Decide on either South American or African cichlids.  Despite the fact that the two can coexist,  they generally prefer different water chemistry.  I wouldn't recommend only getting two African cichlids -- one would most likely dominate the other. I try to start with 6 african cichlids in a new tank and slowly build from there.
        Whenever I add new fish to a cichlid tank I feed the old fish, turn the tank light off, and drastically rearrange the decor.  I add the new guys after they float in the bag for a while.  I wait a day before I feed the tank again.

Keep in mind this is only what I do. Many people do it ohter ways. This is just what has worked for me.
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

well my ph stays pretty high at least 7.6 do what do u think i am looking for advise. as for the goldfish they were cheap and something to get the tank started with, i am looking for fish that don't get big and are pretty colorful or my kids will loose interest, it would be like looking at these ugly goldies. help me decide

Comment

Africans on a whole are smaller than South Americans. I personally think Labidochromis Caerulus (AKA Electric Yellow or Yellow Lab) make good starter cichlids. They are relatively docile, and both the male and females are quite colorful.

Another thing that I learned from my first cichlid tank. It is easier to add a slightly more aggressive fish, than add a docile fish to a aggressive tank. I would start with the yellow labs, and work up from there.

Do some surfing on the net. Look at the Malawi Cichlids. See what strikes your fancy...

Comment

totally aggree with homeless on this one of course i learned a great deal about cichlids from him. another person on the forum you might want to ask is Scott because he breeds africans like crazy.
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President
              Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

If you do decide to get rid of the goldfish, please don't just flush 'em.  I may be alone on this but it isn't just the price of the fish.  As living creatures, their value is the same as any other living thing and these particular fish have provided you a service.  You may know someone who would like to have them or maybe the store would take them back.  I wouldn't have a problem with them ending up as food... that's part of the natural cycle.  It isn't natural, however, to slowly suffocate in the sewer or to become another ingredient in some smoldering chemical stew.

(Stepping down from the soapbox...)

I don't know... I just don't think that God creates throw-away creatures.

Comment

I would hesitate to add anything until your nitrites are back down to 0. As in the other thread, have you tested your ammonia? Since you have both nitrites and nitrates showing up, I imagine you might not have any detectable ammonia, but it's never a bad idea to be sure. The reason I would be cautious is because nitrite is a LOT more toxic to fish than nitrate, especially fish that you want to keep for long periods of time.
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

If you go with SA cichlids...the goldfish might end up as a nice snack for them, when they get bigger.

I like Africans...but thats just me  

Comment

Mzungu is right. You may want to bring in a water sample to the LFS to get everything tested. We all get a bit anxious to put in fish. If you still have ammonia or alot of nitrite in the tank, wait on getting the new fish.

Comment

Well, I would hope that all of us are responsible enough to not release non-native species in our local water ways.   If you can't find any other home for them I'll take them.

Goldfish are great in a tub for making green water for feeding daphnia and small fry.
                        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Depending on the size of ur tank, Malawi cichlids can get pretty big as well.  If u want smaller africans, u might wanna check out some Tanganyikan cichlids.  Tho Malawi cichlids are more colorful, Tanganyikans come in many different body shapes, sizes, and behaviors.  This is due to the fact that the variety of commercially-available Tanganyikans inhabit different areas of the water column in the wild.  This can include open waters, rocky areas, open sand, and shellbeds.  This makes them ideal africans for a community tank setup where u have different habitat types so that all the species don't compete for the same territories.

Leleupi's (neolamprologus leleupi) max out at about 5" and can be very bright orange or yellow if u keep them on a light substrate.  Juli's (julidochromis ____) also max out at about 5" and have some nice patterns on them.  Calvus and comps (altolamprologus calvus/compressiceps) have a very unique and specialized body shape (but they grow to about 6").  U also have the shell-dwellers, which include one of the smallest cichlids (neolamprologus multifasciatus AKA multi).  Multis are interesting because they form colonies to compensate for their miniscule size (they max out at about 1.5").  Another nice shell-dweller is the occie (neolamprologus ocellatus).  It is usually gold w/ a purple sheen that can be seen depending on what angle ur lookin at it.  Aside from being colorful, occies have a lot of attitude.  They are fearless enough to deter other fish away from their territories much larger than they are, and so they are very fun to watch.  If u get some ocellatus and ur kids get bored, have ur kids watch u wave ur hand in the tank near one of their shells.  Ur hand will be nipped at for sure and the kids'll love it.  I could go on and on, but I'm just makin u aware of some other options.

Comment

O ya, I have no experience w/ SA or CA cichlids but my understanding is that african cichlids live better in pHs above 7 than SA/CA cichlids do.  So u might wanna consider Malawi or Tanganyikan cichlids if u plan on keeping ur pH at 7.6.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

I kept pretty much all of them successfully in "standard" Houston water.

tiger oscar
                              red devil
                              red terror
                              midas
                              convict
                              jack dempsey
                              blue jack dempsey
                              jaguar

The jack dempsey stays the smallest, maxing out at ~8in.

Comment

Working...
                              X