contamination from feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contamination from feeders

Sometimes the feeders I get look pitiful.......

What do you do to prevent the spread of disease / parasites from the feeders to your fish ??
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Re: contamination from feeders

i keep my feeders in water with binox... but then i got too many complaints that i sell fish in dirty water..
    Resident BUM !!!

Comment

binox? Maybe that is what makes me think the same about most LFS. I did not look at your feeders while I was there. You ready to sell that big red Discus yet? LOL
      Smokin_Cache
      Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
      Lets see what the imagination fruits.
      Check out my last tank

Comment

Mike, I'm considering setting up a tank just for feeders...whether it be store-bought or if I catch them myself. But I don't want to infect my fish. I've never heard of Binox before. Does it really work b/c I can deal w/ the dirty-looking water if the treatment is effective. Holla at me...

Comment

fatten them up and raise the temperature, preferably in their own tank

Comment

when i use it, from my own expierence...the fish look healthier..ie...no fin rot, sores on the body..gasping...things like that...and overall they swim happier...but it does create a really bad yellow tint in the water....

about the discus...yea im ready to sell it...just send the 500 dollars my way..haha
            Resident BUM !!!

Comment

LOL
              Smokin_Cache
              Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
              Lets see what the imagination fruits.
              Check out my last tank

Comment

I've never used feeders, as I've never had fish large enough to eat them. However, my idea would be to buy a couple dozen of the feeder guppies and put them in a tank by themselves. Soon you'll have a self-replenishing feeder tank. (I should know, I have one, if only I had a large fish to eat them...)
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

When I was feeding live foods, I had 3 pairs of convicts. 3 pairs of convicts will produce enough fry to feed roughly 100 fish. Convicts spawn on a 2 week schedule and have typicall spawns of over 400 eggs. The best part of raising your own feeders is that you have total control over the quality food you are giving your fish. Whether you feed while the yolk sac is still attached for maximum nutrition, or you hold them until they are large enough to be stalked prey, your fish will be much healthier and will run a much smaller risk of infectious disease from their food. How many times have you gotten a bag of feeders only to realise that they were tumorous, malnourished, or even infected with ich? You get the idea, raise your own and you dont have to worry about any of that.
                  Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

That's what's up...I've never thought about using convict fry in the same manner as feeder goldfish. I guess b/c convicts are actually fish, as opposed to goldfish are....well just "goldfish".  However, that and the guppies idea, I think have enough validity to be explored. I just have really large fish, so I may have to use the fry for the many, many juveniles that I have.

Comment

Working...
                    X