PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first betta - Buster!

daisymac
07-25-2006, 03:25 PM
He is a very deep blue, almost purple. He seems to be enjoying the tank, and he isn't aggressive at all.

Someone on this board recommended taking a black tipped pen and touching the side of the bowl to see if they flare - if they do they are aggressive. Well, this guy isn't. He is co-exisiting with the community and exploring the tank.

His face looks like a bulldog so that is a Buster to me! Full name is Buster Blue Velvet! *:D

I hope he stays this docile, but if he doesn't I have a fish bowl ready for him, and a grandson who would like a fishie!

PhishPhreek
07-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Sometimes the pet store bettas are big & old & past their prime.

If you hold a compact mirror up to the tank he should show off for you.

Watch out for the tank bully - they will sneak up behind the betta and nip his fins. *
If it gets too bad move him to isolation and treat him with bettafix (tea tree oil)

daisymac
07-26-2006, 02:55 PM
The tank bully has been banished to the 2.5g in the bedroom. Everyone else is very mellow.

Phish - he must be past his prime because the mirror didn't even phase him. He looked but didn't show much reaction. Even so he is perfect for this tank. I needed a docile betta. I got him at Village, if that makes a difference.

daisymac
08-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Well, come to find out he is docile when you are in the room, but I found out he has been harassing the guppies. I went to feed them and he raced up and attacked a guppy, then turned and chased off another one. One of the males has been hiding, to the point I thought he was a goner.

So now I have a quandry. Buster has been banished to the 2.5 tank (the other bullies are gone) and is in conditioned tap water, with no filter. I do have an air pump in there but I only run it if I need to. I really wanted to use that tank for the guppies, but I can't get it cycled for them with him in there. I had a whisper power filter, and when I put him in the tank within a minute or two he got sucked up to the filter, so that's out of there.

I'd like to get Buster back in the big tank, and get the guppies in the little one. Any practical suggestions as to how I get this done?

Philistine
08-03-2006, 11:56 AM
maybe try putting him in the guppy tank with a female betta

daisymac
08-03-2006, 12:06 PM
The guppies are in the big tank - he is in the small tank. If I got a female betta and put all of them together in the big tank would that work?

Philistine
08-03-2006, 12:07 PM
that's what I would do but you probably need to get some more opinions

Mzungu
08-03-2006, 12:15 PM
I don't understand. Why add a female betta?

Philistine
08-03-2006, 12:18 PM
I don't understand. Why add a female betta?

females can be very distracting *:wink:

Philistine
08-03-2006, 12:20 PM
but seriously, he would prolly start focusing his attentions on the female and start to occupy his time building a bubble nest, etc

I used to keep a betta pair several years ago with other fish no problem

Mzungu
08-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Hmm...So, what you're asking is how to move them? Maybe I'm totally missing the question here. (just ate lunch, full and tired *:) *) How many guppies do you have again? I'd capture the guppies (maybe put them in the breeder box you have), net out the betta, transfer him to the big tank, and then pour the breeder box into the 2.5? Does the smaller tank have similar water to the 55?

daisymac
08-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I might try that. I just need to keep him off the guppies backs until I can get the guppies out of there.

He may be "in the mood" because when I isolated him he started to build a bubble nest.

Mzungu
08-03-2006, 12:27 PM
How large was the tank, Philistine? I know that some bettas can be absolutely brutal to a female if she's not ready to breed and there's not enough space... But yes, she would be distracting!

daisymac
08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Thats the problem MB - the little tank isn't ready for guppies. And the breeder box I have is made to float in a tank - it won't hold water on it's own. I thought it wouldn't be a problem because I had a fish bowl for Buster, but I must have given it away. *:(

Philistine
08-03-2006, 12:32 PM
How large was the tank, Philistine? I know that some bettas can be absolutely brutal to a female if she's not ready to breed and there's not enough space... But yes, she would be distracting!

it was a 20H or 20L (or 29) I can't remember - it was like 30 years ago

Mzungu
08-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Uh oh!! I see more tanks coming!!! *:wink:

Philistine
08-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Uh oh!! I see more tanks coming!!! *:wink:

+1

Inwood aquarium has some great deals on bigger tanks *:)

daisymac
08-03-2006, 01:28 PM
NOT AN OPTION! My husband would kill me. I may be able to slip a betta bowl past him, but he already threatened me with death if I get another tank. Anyway I don't have the room for another.

PhishPhreek
08-03-2006, 01:53 PM
http://www.baker.ws/rn.jpghttp://www.baker.ws/hr.jpg

You know you're a fish freek when you go shopping and buy things
baised on weather or not you can use them for your fish.

Ellen
08-03-2006, 03:04 PM
By "not ready for the guppies" do you mean cycled? If you're wanting to cycle the tank, just leave your betta in there, and be sure you don't overfeed him. You will get your nitrifying bacteria to grow on the walls and in the gravel. You can also stick your Whisper filter on your large tank to cycle it. Or you can take the media from your Whisper filter and stick it in along with your main filter's media (on your big tank). Then in a couple of weeks you can do the big flip - stick Buster in a cup for a few minutes, net out the guppies, put Buster back in the main tank, stick the Whisper on the little tank and you're good to go.

HTH,
Ellen

daisymac
08-03-2006, 03:17 PM
You are a fish freek - Phish Phreek!

Good idea Ellen! Thanks!

Ellen
08-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Speaking of... they have the most gorgeous bowl/vase things at Target in the dishes section...if only they weren't $40 a pop!!

Ellen

Tiapan
08-04-2006, 10:46 AM
NOT AN OPTION! My husband would kill me. I may be able to slip a betta bowl past him, but he already threatened me with death if I get another tank. Anyway I don't have the room for another. whether or not your husband will kill you i cannot say, however i watched a friend (TIm) say that he didnt have anymore room in his appartment with all his tanks, and that he would have to sell one ot put a larger one in. well he didnt sell ay of them and found room for a 200 gallon, in a 1 bedroom appartment with several hundred gallons of more tanks. so there is always more room for another tank *:crazy:

daisymac
08-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Well, I did just buy another small 2.5g - maybe since it looks like the other he won't notice! *:roll:

I did get a lecture last night on how obsessed I've become, but HEY! Who on this board isn't? He just doesn't get it - he enjoys looking at it, but these are my fishie babies, and I want them to have a good quality of life! Humpf! *:snooty:

armthehomeless
08-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission!

daisymac
08-04-2006, 04:46 PM
AMEN! :lol:

eklikewhoa
08-07-2006, 01:55 AM
NOT AN OPTION! My husband would kill me. I may be able to slip a betta bowl past him, but he already threatened me with death if I get another tank. Anyway I don't have the room for another. whether or not your husband will kill you i cannot say, however i watched a friend (TIm) say that he didnt have anymore room in his appartment with all his tanks, and that he would have to sell one ot put a larger one in. well he didnt sell ay of them and found room for a 200 gallon, in a 1 bedroom appartment with several hundred gallons of more tanks. so there is always more room for another tank *:crazy:

you aint kiddin!!!! pretty amazed how he got it all worked into his apt.

Mzungu
08-07-2006, 08:29 AM
:rofl:

Aw, don't worry, he'll come around! *:wink: