Yellow labs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow labs

I have two yellow labs, that when I bought was a beautiful neonish bright yellow. They are healthy and eating fine, but their color is turning a bit goldish yellow. Is this normal? What do I need to do to get that nice yellow back?
    Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

Re: Yellow labs

are they in a tank by themselves? what are you feeding them? are there plenty of hidin places? if they are alone sometimes they dont color up as much, sometimes more. if you are only feeding flakes or pellets you may want to add froazen or even life food to the menu, that usually brings out a lot of color. and if they are in a big tank wih others they may be a little stressed or not the dominant fish( labs are not that aggressive usually) if anyone wih more cichlid experience thinks different please correct me.
    Never fear I is here
    David Abeles
    Vice President
    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Typically with rift lake cichlids, color will be strongly related to water chemistry. Diet will play a role in the overall health but water makeup will determine how well a fish displays. With labs in particular you should have your ph in the 8.2-8.4 range, the water should be in the 10-11 dh hardness range. Toss in some rock work for them to hide in, and in no time the color should be bright and vibrant. I should also mention water temp. While cichlids will do ok in a wide range of temperatures, they seem to do best for me if kept at 80-82 degrees. By raising the water temp to 82-84 and doing a partial water change you can induce spawning if you are having trouble. As with all fish, and cichlids in particular, water changes are very important. Be sure to pretreat your water to achieve the desired levels before adding it to the tank. Personally, I don't feed any color enhancing foods, but if that is something you are interested in, just be sure to read the label to ensure that your fish are getting the protein, fiber, and vitamins that they require.
      Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Thanks for the help all. They are in a tank with other cichlids. They seem to get along great with all the others. Plenty of rock and fake plants to hide in. I have been feeding a mixture of Hikari (I think that is how it is spelled) Gold floating pellets and some sinking. I have been doing a weekly water change of 15-20%, sometimes more. My pH is in the range of 7.8-8.0 due to the others. So I try to keep a median to for all. My water temp is usually 80, sometimes 79. I may try a different type of food after this bag is gone. Thanks again.
        Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

Comment

Working...
        X