What's the best way to get 'em home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to get 'em home?

I'm sure that everyone has their favorite acclimation technique after they get their new friends home.... but what about getting them home in the first place?

With temperatures approaching 100 outside and temperatures in our cars approaching whatever "Max Cool" will provide, how do you protect your fish?  Do you carry 'em home with the bags in a styrofoam cooler or other insulated carrier?  What about those of us who might drive close to 2 hours to find a decent fish store?  Would it be appropriate to take some Amquel and NovAqua with you and ask the LFS staff to put a couple of drops in the bags before they close them?  My previous experiences were in a far more temperate climate with several nearby fish stores to choose from so these things were never an issue.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Re: What's the best way to get 'em home?

I just make sure not to keep them in direct sunlight. They make it fine. I've even bought fish during lunch and kept them in the car until I went home for the day. Keep in mind that my car was in a parking garage, so again, no direct sunlight. Just keep in mind the outside temp. I wouldn't leave them there like that if it were over 85deg outside. As long as you're running the A/C, they will be fine while driving.

Comment

I sit my bags in the middle of the seats with the two center vents on them. The only problem I have is moving the bags every five minutes to get them out of the direct sunlight.
      Smokin_Cache
      Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
      Lets see what the imagination fruits.
      Check out my last tank

Comment

if its a straight trip home fron the lfs then it sits in the back seat covered in one of my work jackets to keep from the direct sunlight which the dark tint helps with and to minimize the stress.

i had to keep a fish in my car overnight once and what i did with that was ask for a extra large bag and a styrofoam box and kept the windows cracked and vehicle in the shade.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I usually carry a styrafoam shipping box or an Ice Chest and place the new purchases inside - I don't add Ice unless I have to park the car in the sun for a while.  But I sometimes add a few inches of water in the bottom to help keep the temp stable.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I carry an ice chest with me everywhere. I add about 4" of water to the chest as a stabilizer then place the bags to float in the water. Never, never , never add ice! Ice can and will slow your fishes metabolism and can and will cause shock. Shock if not outright fatal will lead to things like Ick, Dropsy, and swim bladder disease. If kept in an ice chest, either foam or plastic with a couple inches of water, your fish will be fine for several hours with no complications.
            Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Good Point Scott

I should have clarified that I only add a small amount (Tablespoon) of Ice when the interior of the call is over 100 deg.
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

i have the wonderful bonus of being without a/c in my car so i dont buy unless i can usually go straight home, and then i cover the bag so no direct sunlight. thats the best i can really do. my other part is i never pour the fish straight into the tank after floating for about 10 o 15 minutes i open the bag and kinda let is sink down letting some of the tank water mix with the bag water (i only do this if i trust the location. i know its not an exact science at all but then i just wait for the fish to swim out of the bag on their own making their entry more selfdriven then forced.
                Never fear I is here
                David Abeles
                Vice President
                Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
                X