Discus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discus

I am new to this message board. Me and my husband have 3 tanks, all Cichlids. But I am wanting to set up a discus tank for the first time. My main question is about gravel, substrate. I am going to use plants in the aquarium. I found a substrate in a petsolutions catalog called Eco-Complete live freshwater substrate. This has live bacteria already in it, plus mineral nutrients for plants. I am wondering if this would be safe for dicus. I know they need soft, warm water and I know the PH. This substrate claims to not raise or lower the PH in tank water. Has anyone used this substrate? There are buffers to take out calcium, magnesium, etc, but this substrate HAS those minerals in it. So, what do you think? What is the best substrate for discus/plants?

Thank you to anyone who can help me.

Re: Discus

I have Eco-Complete in my tank and I had problem a few problems with it at first. I wrote the company about it and they said after 6 weeks there would not me a problem. I bought mine used. The guy said he had just put it in a tank and didn't like the color of it. I don't know how long he had it set up or what ph he was keeping it at. Mine has settled down and is fine now. The plants are growing like crazy.
    Smokin_Cache
    Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
    Lets see what the imagination fruits.
    Check out my last tank

Comment

If you are just going to keep discus & not beed them. Tap water that is stored & heated before adding it to your aquarium. Will do just fine.
      I keep discus in a planted tank with pebbles as a substrate with a unused under gravel filter.  The UGF is left in because the roots hold to it.
      I also breed & sell discus to.
      For breeding I use RO water, for the ones I sell I use tap water with a hardness of around 260ppm
      Now if you want them to grow out quickly you will need alot softer water.
      Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
      Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
      Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I dont plan on breeding discus, unless of course I wind up getting a male and female...but that's the last thing on my mind right now    What I am planning to do anyway is....get the tank up, with substrate, some plants, let that cycle...then I'd like to add a few harlequin rasboras (I've always loved those), and a bristlenose pleco. Let that go, and I also like cory cats...but I am still not sure about getting one of those. Basically I want the tank cycled and going and have the water checked before adding 2 discus, at least to start. Am I missing anything? Thanks again for the replies!!

Comment

I don't know much about discus... but would recommend getting a school of cories if you do get cories. I don't know if the cories would be too boisterous for the discus and stress them out or not.

As for the Substrate, EcoComplete is a favorite amongst planted aquarists. Personally, I think Fluorite is pretty good as well. Best of luck with all that you do, and keep us updated on the progress of your tank!
          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

how about mixing a little bit of everything you like then top them with sand blast sand. This way it keep all the dirty stuff from clouding the water. Also when you change water, you could vaccum debris on top of the sand without disturbing your bottom substrate. Last, make sure whatever fish you put in there with intention of keeping for long time. Otherwise, you will have hard time catching them once all the plants have grown.

Comment

Well, since funds are low around here (fish are expensive with 3 big fish tanks in the house already!) I used natural colored gravel in the tank, and had some wood so there's at least some decor in the tank right now. I have a few fake plants in there as well, and will get real ones too. I need some amazon swords to fill up the back of the tank. Its driving my husband crazy that I dont have fish in there yet....so impatient!! But I am trying to do this correctly so he will have to deal with it for right now haha.

Comment

Working...
              X