Plecos not eating algea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plecos not eating algea

The plecos I put in my tank have figured out when feeding time is and they come out and clean up on the color bits or blood worms. I think they are getting more than all the other fish put together. Pretty agrivating
    Smokin_Cache
    Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
    Lets see what the imagination fruits.
    Check out my last tank

Re: Plecos not eating algea

A worm feeder cone will help with live worms.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

yeah most of my plec dont do much for algae.......but they will help clean up the uneaten foods
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well I am considering giving them away. Not sure yet. The discus do a great job cleaning up and the the flounder take care of the rest. I need something to clean the green stuff!
        Smokin_Cache
        Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
        Lets see what the imagination fruits.
        Check out my last tank

Comment

what kind of pleco do you have?
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

In my experience Common Plecos when they get bigger, they get lazy and will wait for the food to come out.  When that happens they start scouring the bottom for food.

There are some plecos that eat algae better with more determination than others.  Younger Common plecos, and Bristtlenose are (2) that come to mind.

Then, if all else fails,...elbow grease!
            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

yep the elbow grease always works on alge
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President
              Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I have good luck when I move my medium/large plecos from a clean tank (no food) to one with a lot of green on the glass.    They usually have the new location clean in a few days and then they go back to the holding tank or on to another green tank.
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Like others have said, it's really not that uncommon for plecos to stop eating algae. Amano shrimp will also stop eating algae if they decide they like fish food better. For more information on other algae eaters, you can look here

I don't really think there's anything you can rely on to keep your tanks algae free. If you think about it, algae grows everywhere, and there's nothing (besides people   ) that it really bothers. Lots of fish will pick at or eat algae, but they aren't bent on making it dissappear!  

I don't know what kind of algae you have, but have you considered leaving it alone in one place? Sometimes if you let it live on, say, the back glass, it won't tend to grow as much in other places, because the algae that's already there are using up the nutrients the other algae need to get a food hold.

Ellen

Comment

Working...
                  X