I lost an Oto today - why????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I lost an Oto today - why????

Yesterday everything seemed fine. This afternoon I go in to do my afternoon headcheck and can't find one of the 2 I bought. Well there it was, belly up. I got him out but am baffled as to what happened.  :(  I bought the pair on 6/30.

I tested my water with the Master kit last night and the readings were:
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 10
    pH - 7.4 to 7.6 (sometimes those colors aren't dead on, so I take a guess)

Just now I used the 5-in-1 dip test and came out with the same readings except this test measures the GH (150ppm) & KH (140ppm) and the drop test doesn't.

One of my leopard danios is acting a bit odd, too. It's hovering at the bottom level at the tanks and seems to be searching for something. I don't know how to explain it, but it goes up and down and back and forth. Everyone else seems fine.

Re: I lost an Oto today - why????

without any obvious water problems and no external signs on the fish it seems it has to be an internal thing, i just lost one of the albino bushy nose plecos i got from sunny's and it has been fine for like a month. the water parameters were great and the fish was just fine yesterday. welcome to the wonderful world of "i dont have any idea" it happens a lot in this hobby. as soon as you think you know everything and want it to work out something goes wacky
    Never fear I is here
    David Abeles
    Vice President
    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

After reading up on this topic, I found out that oto are notorious for dying within the first month. If you have one that lasts past that point you are in good shape. So I guess the strategy is to get a bunch and then wait and see. Maybe it's the same for plecos.

Comment

Yup, i've had that problem too. I buy several at a time and am almost always left with a little less than I start with. I currently have 4 regular otos and 2 niger otos.
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

unfortunately i just lost my gold nugget.

don't know what happened either.

Comment

Good grief! Went to bed and the last oto was hanging on the side of the tank. Got up at 9 and he was floating at the top of the tank, and someone had bit his tail off!   So now I have no more. I called a couple places and they don't have anymore, so I guess I need to call Village and see if they have some.

So I did a 20% water change, vacuum and cleaning.

Those fishies are crazy!  :crazy:  Instead of scurrying away from me and the vacuum, they hover around my hand!  I tell them they should be afraid and they just laugh at me. Ha ha he he! They figure I'm the one obsessed with them, I feed them therefore I am no threat! Silly fishie boys!

Comment

Have they started nibbling your hand yet? I still get startled! And some have little teeth, kind of hurts!! It's sad to see me yelp in surprise when a 1" fish nibbles my hand. But oh well, it's funny. I figure it's better than all of them hiding when I come near!

I've had trouble with otos in the past, as well.  :(  Sigh. But, if you still want to get a few more, I went to Village yesterday and they have quite a few. I also saw their "graceful tetras!" Oh, and if you go, take a look at the tank on the counter with all the little nano tanks, the one with all the little bubbling toys and sunken ships and such. There's a female guppy in there that is ENORMOUS. Biggest guppy I have ever seen. Crazy!
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Not nibbling my hand yet, but one day I wasn't paying attention, put my hand with the food into the water a bit and they were knocking up next to it - like "gimme, gimme." I bought a couple algae shrimp, and when I was trying to clean the tank, one of them kept trying to ride on my hand!

I will go to Village this afternoon (I hope.) So M.B., was the tank labeled "gracefull tetras"? When I called to ask about them the guy said there was no such fish in the store! I told him they are really bandtail tetras, and then he said okay, yea, we have those. Hmmmm . . .

I saw that guppy - I thought it was an exotic breed! LOL!

Comment

Yeah, it was labeled "graceful tetras!" It's in that row of tanks right across from the register. I'm pretty sure they're on the bottom rack. Can't miss 'em!

Hey, nothing stupid there! I never even imagined a guppy could get that big!!   8O  I couldn't leave the store without knowing, had to ask.
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I went and bought 6 more otos', and a beautiful blue/purple betta. I told them that they had the tetra tank mislabeled, and that they were pretty aggressive, but then before I left I looked at that tank with the enormous guppy, and there was one of the bandtails in there. So I figure that if you want them you either have to have 1 or a school of them. The guy said go ahead and bring them back.

I think these otos' will last longer because they are larger than the other I had. I hope I hope!  

Comment

Working...
                    X