No announcement yet.

what kind of gravel vacuum do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of gravel vacuum do you use?

I have 2 top fin gravel vacuums that drive me crazy. One is a 1" x 6", the other is 2" x 10", and the self start "feature" is a joke. If I use the big one, the motion of jerking it up and down to get it to start scares the heck out of the fishies. The little one works better but it is so short that I end up in the tank - well, not really but more than I want.  :?

Another problem is getting into tight spots. I am looking for a way to modify my short one, by attaching the tube from a turkey baster. It should work, but I haven't tried it yet.

I saw a battery operated one that had different attachments, but don't want to invest the money unless I know it will work. So what do you use?

Re: what kind of gravel vacuum do you use?

I use a Python.  Since my tanks are a good distance from the faucet I have the twenty five foot with a ten foot extension.  I also have another ten foot extension I got with a tank that is just extra.  I don't use the drain/vacuum feature of the Python as to me it wastes too much water creating the suction.  I just drag the hose outside to drain in the flower bed.  So far I haven't sucked up any dirty water starting the syphon.  The hose is long enough I can easily see the syphon start before the water reacheds my end.  You can also buy longer tubes for the Python, I think mine is 24".  I don't have any experience with the battery operated vacuums.
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I just 2x10 gravel vac and a 5g bucket.

I always start the siphon with my mouth - after a few mouthfuls of tank water one tends to get the hang of it fast

Originally posted by daisymac";p="
      I have 2 top fin gravel vacuums that drive me crazy. One is a 1" x 6", the other is 2" x 10", and the self start "feature" is a joke.

Comment

Python all the way..
        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I have a Python and I love love love it. It is 5 billion times better than lugging buckets! And its super fast.

I've never heard anything good about the battery operated ones, but you know how bad reviews travel farther and quicker than good reviews. I've never actually tried one out, so I don't have a real opinion on them.

Instead of sucking fish water to start the syphon, you can put the entire hose into the water. Start with your big end and lower the rest of the hose into the water, making sure it all gets full of water (get all the air out). Put your thumb over the small end, pull it down to your bucket, and release. Voila!, instant start.   I don't know about fish water. I know that we kinda live in an uber-clean environment and it probably won't hurt you, but there could be worms and stuff and I'm thinking thats not so great to be drinking. That said, yes I swim in lakes, rivers, and the big blue...

HTH,
          Ellen

Comment

I have to say that drowning the tube to get your suction started probably isn't feasible for a 25' long python, I do use the faucet to get it started, but then I turn off the water and it keeps on draining.

Ellen

Comment

after a few mouthfuls of tank water one tends to get the hang of it fast
              LoL

Drink the water at Chipotle up in the Woodlands a few times and the mouthfuls of tankwater won't even phase u.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen";p="
                I have to say that drowning the tube to get your suction started probably isn't feasible for a 25' long python.

Ellen
                Now if I tried that I'd end up with more water on the floor than in the tank.  I let mine drain outside, rotating which plants it waters and fertilizes.  As that is about all the attention the plants ever get, it's probably the only thing keeping them alive in this heat. I use the drowning technique with a smaller gravel cleaner when I'm draining one of the small tanks into a bucket, then I happily slosh water all the way to the yard or nearest drain.  I'm not very coordinated.

Comment

I think a python is too much for what I need, and my kitchen is too far away for that.

I am NOT sucking any of that water in my mouth! YUK! I did that once and I gagged & gagged. Didn't get much water in my mouth, but the thought of fish poop . . .

I like the idea of putting the whole thing in there. I will try that. I have kick started it with a big syringe my ENT Dr. gave me, and that worked. (Don't even ask you don't want to know!) It's pretty awkward though.

I still want to modify the vacuum to get into tight spots. I'll let you know how the baster thing works. I like the idea of it because you can put it on when you need, and take it off for the open areas.

I am spoiled rotten about my drinking water. Got a new fridge with a filter sytem built in, and it tastes so good that I hate to drink anything else - whether it be at Chipolte or out of the tank! LOL

Comment

haha, I realized, after I had clicked submit, that I didn't specify that I was talking about smaller siphons -- for draining into a bucket right -- that's why I added the little blurb.  

5' = A-OK,  
                    25' = disaster, moldy carpet, everybody hates Ellen  :wink:

Ellen

Comment

They make the Pythons is 50' lengths as well.  If you use the faucet attachment to syphon, you don't have to worry about water in your mouth.  If you decide on the Python, check BigAls, they have good prices on the initial hose as well as the extensions if needed.  Well, out of here to spend the weekend in Austin.      

Comment

And 75' and 100'. But if you're going to buy the 25' WalMart has them for $30, I don't think that you can beat that online once you figure in shipping...

Ellen

Comment

Ellen - was the 25g disaster since you moved?

Szids - Have fun in Austin! Is this the weekend of the Music festival?

Comment

i have the 25 ft and a 20 ft extension python but i usually only use it to fill big tanks or do maintnance for clients with large aquariums. i dont have any really large tanks so an ancient syphon (without a one way valve in it) and a 5 gallon bucket works just fine for most water changes for me. they never take very long.
                            Never fear I is here
                            David Abeles
                            Vice President
                            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Oh no no no. I was talking about trying to put 25 feet of tubing into an aquarium. It would end in disaster.

I did manage to overflow my fish tank with the python upon moving in   , but that was because the washer decided to flood the utility room while I was slowly filling up the tank in the living room. I managed to flood 2 different parts of the house at the same time.  :uhoh:

Ellen

Comment

Working...
                              X