200 gallon Tanganyika tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 gallon Tanganyika tank

I just recently purchased a 7'x2'x2' tank. I am in the process of setting of a wet/dry filter for it. I'll have a play sand substrate, shells, and lots of holey rock (pending an excursion to central Texas). I am new to these type of cichlids, but was looking online and found the following particularly intriguing:

- Cyprichromis leptsoma
    - Cyprichromis leptsoma
    - Altolamprologus calvus (of course!)
    - Neolamprologus cylindricus
    - Neolamprologus leleupi
    - Telematochromis vittatus
    - Ophthalalmtilapia ventralis (Mtoto)
    - Lamprologus brevis

I was thinking about getting groups of each of these if I can find them (6 to 12), but was curious as to whether or not they would get along together. I don't believe any of them are particularly aggresive, but would like to know any/all opinions before I start stocking the tank. I can't afford to make too many mistakes!

Would julies be too aggressive for this tank?
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Re: 200 gallon Tanganyika tank

Juli's are conspecific. I have yet to see any of my juli's bully any other fish in the tanks that I have them in. In fact, I have one pair that share their cave with a Tropheus and a Giraffe Cat.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I believe juli's normally compete w/ leleupi's for the same type of territories, but in such a large tank I don't think it'll be a problem.

U say ur gettin maybe 6-12 of each species.  Would these be juvies that u plan on thinning-out slightly once they mature and pair up?

Also, u listed cyps twice.  Is that a typo or are u planning on getting the jumbo variety as well?

Comment

It was a typo ItsDubC. I was not planning on getting the jumbo variety. I was planning on thinning out everything a little except the cyps. I want to end with a school of them. Pehaps i should start with more.

Scott - I should only get one type of Juli, right?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

hmmmm so many cichlids never enough cash for them all lol
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President
          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

yeah, on the Juli's go with one strain only. That will eliminate the fears of crossing. After all, who wants a julidochromis maleregani?
            Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

o, by the way man, look out your windows when you are driving! Xavier and I passed you back and forth 5 or 6 times trying to get your attn! hehe.

Comment

Not a cichlid, but have u considered getting a group of Synodontis catfish?  There are some endemic to Lake Tanganyika (ie multipunctatus, petricola, etc) that would do a pretty good job of keeping your tank clean.  Plus, they're a schooling fish so a group of em would be cool to watch.

Comment

he has 5 eurupterus synos, i think thats how u spell it, and i know he was thinking of a giraffe catfish for that tank, again i said thinking Tim seems to be doing a lot of that about this tank  , but thats ok planning is a good thing
                  Never fear I is here
                  David Abeles
                  Vice President

Comment

I currently have 5 Synodontis Eupterus in another tank. Would they be ok in this tank?

Comment

I'd be doing a lot of thinking too if I had a tank like that hehe.  Maybe even some dreaming...

Comment

I'm thinkin that your pH'll prolly be around 8 or so if ur keepin Tanganyikans, but AFAIK eupterus prefer a lower pH.  They are not found in Lake Tanganyika (to my knowledge) so I'm not sure how well they'll do.  Hopefully someone can chime in that has more experience w/ eupterus than I do.

Comment

they survive at my works fish systme and it fluxs between 7.4 and like 8.2
                          Never fear I is here
                          David Abeles
                          Vice President

Comment

Scott - You saw me? Today? It must have been an imposter! I have not vacated my domicile so far today. I've been doing prep work for the upcoming school year. . . and fantasizing about this tank all day.

Comment

The eupterus are very hardy critters. Naturally they do prefer more neutral waters. I like the idea of adding a school of the petricola. would they bother the lamprologus brevis?

Comment

Working...
                              X