Dwarf cichlids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwarf cichlids

i am interested in how to get he ph down in my 60 gallon but not way down, and what would be a good way of aclimating say borellii or cockatoo cichlids to the tank, it is heavly planted and not too full, it will have 3 fairly large pieces of driftwood inside of a few days, substrate is a mix of flourite and poting soil. rena xp2 filter. any suggestions would be welcomed
    Never fear I is here
    David Abeles
    Vice President
    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Re: Dwarf cichlids

I think lots of people put peat in their canister filters to acidify the water. I'm not sure exactly how much this affects the pH. The driftwood should bring the pH down a little too. I have a vial of Seachem's Acid Buffer that was given to me. I haven't used it, and am too lazy to attempt to adjust the pH for any certain tanks that I have. On the bottle it shows how to adjust pH from 5.0 up to 8.0.  You are more than welcome to take it off my hands. I owe you for helping me move my 200g aquarium!  

How much do peat and driftwood affect the acidity? I am assuming it is a slow, gradual thing....
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

In my experience, The addition of 1 dried banana leaf per 10 gal or 1 almond leaf per 10 gal will lower the pH .2 to to .3 daily for a week and then stop. Oak leaves or peat will more than likely have a similar effect.

Make a bag from old pantyhose, etc.   stuff it with your organic material and check the results daily.   Then remove the bag at the desired reading.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

thanks, i am gonna check my ph today and then see about geting my wood into the tank.
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President

Comment

ph and tim you were supposed to check the water on ur 55 for me sunday, did you?
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President

Comment

of course not! i'll do it today.
            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

those specs are fine those fishies should transfer over the my 60 easy as soon as i get that wood sunk.  that damn stuff takes forever to get water logged but getting closer everyday.
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President

Comment

Working...
              X